joanne Duff writes:

>During my research I have found that the use of molecular sieves is
>widespread, however the companies who provide them tend to design a
>unit specific to that particular sieve. They have proved very
>unhelpful with regards to advice, ideas for flowsheets etc.

The support structure for the molecular sieve mostly serves
to keep the beads of zeolite from scraping against each other and
wearing down, both during the adsorption phase and when being
"regenerated" with dry nitrogen gas or whatever. I just throw the beads
into the wet ethanol, shake it up, and filter 'em out a few hours later.
There's a bit of brown powder in the bottom every time, so I suppose
my beads will wear out eventually, but I've been working with the
original 10 pounds ($8.50 a pound from Adcoa, not free!) for 6 mos.
now and have probably only lost 50 ml in dust.....
Regeneration  is pretty energy-intensive (I use an oven set to 550 F
for about 1.5 hours with frequent stirring). Concentrated solar would
be a nice way to do it, and vacuum would help as well. All that energy
has to be balanced against the additional energy and equipment required
to achieve the additional 5% of dehydration possible in a fractionation,
but I'm sure you're aware of the tradeoffs. I'm actually more interested
in some of the less exotic adsorbents, like rice husk ash, portland cement,
corn grits, etc. Right now I'm experimenting with portland cement -- I'll
report any results to the list.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM