Martin Klingensmith wrote:

> I believe benzene is used. Maybe they use something else now but I think
> benzene is carcinogenic.
>
> --- John   Venema <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Does anybody know how to blend ethanol and diesel like E95 (oxygenated
> > Diesel). Or to put it in another way: what is the secret of the 5% additive.
> > This additive must be very powerful.
> >

> =====
> -Martin Klingensmith
> http://archive.nnytech.net/
> http://devzero.ath.cx/
> http://www.nnytech.net/

 As for Benzene:

 [More excerpts impart]

 Fuels and Society C: 21. Impact on Fuels
 Petroleum Modifications: The first and most
 obvious way to make up the octane deficiency after a
 lead phase out was to further change refinery
 operations and increase the amount of aromatic
 constituents in the gasoline. BTX compounds
 (benzene, toluene and xylene) increased to more than
 20% in the gasoline in the 1970's.
 ---snip---
 This is very much akin to simply adding benzene,
 as T.A. Boyd recommended in 1922. Its health effects
 are not as severe as lead, but they are significant,
 according to a World Bank study.
 While 5,000 Americans died every year as a result of
 heart disease from lead, some 47 people developed cancer
 from the use of benzene as a lead replacement.
 ãThe health impacts of aromatics are several orders of
 magnitude less than that of lead,ä the World Bank
 told a Nation magazine reporter.

 Today's hydrocarbon fuel composition depends to a great
 extent on the catalytic processes invented by
 Dr. John Sinfelt at Esso Research in the 1960's.
 More> http://chemcases.com/converter/converter-21.htm

 Fuels and Society C: 23. Reformulated Gasolines
 [quanity of benzene by volume/percent chart]
 Gasoline, Gasohol, MTBE blends and RFG
 http://chemcases.com/converter/converter-23.htm

 Fuels and Society: 11. Alcohol Fuel as a Replacement
 The growing demand for gasoline and the potential shortage
 of oil was one reason alcohol fuel was seen as a possible
 replacement. Another important reasons was that it would
 keep cars on the road if there were an emergency
 (which made Detroit happy) and that it would create a
 new market for agricultural products (which made farmers happy).
 More> http://chemcases.com/fuels/fuels-11.htm

 Copyright 2001, Laurence I. Peterson and
  Matthew E. Hermes
  College of Science and Mathematics
  Kennesaw State University
  1000 Chastain Rd.