From: womplex_oo1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2002 3:12 PM
Subject: [biofuel] Re: Merlin

> Come on, admit it, the car is HOT.  They could put a smaller
engine
> in it and get waaay better fuel economy, but they want it to
sell,
> and the image they are presenting is making me salivate.
>
> BTW the Volkswagen 1-Liter is not headed for production.  I
emailed
> them and found out that it is just a concept car designed to
break a
> fuel efficiency record while adhering to road-worthiness
standards,
> and that they will be incorporating only some of its features
into
> future VWs.  Actually too bad, I liked that one too.
>
> I believe EVs may have a future, but only if electricity is
produced
> with a fuel cell, and the fuel is liquid, able to be stored in
> featherweight tanks, and is renewable.  Hydrogen won't work,
the
> storage tank is too heavy, and production too expensive and
energy
> intensive.  Methanol is produced mostly from non-renewable
natural
> gas, or from coal, so it doesn't satisfy the constraints
either. The
> only real option is fuel cell that runs on ethanol.
Coincidentally
> Medis Technologies recently patented a Direct Liquid Ethanol
Fuel
> Cell (DLEFC) for use in handheld electronics, cell phones,
PDAs,
> laptops, and military infantry gear.  They are starting out
with a
> fuel cell battery charger, because electronics companies tend
to plan
> their products years ahead, and they've planned on using
ordinary
> batteries.  Nobody anticipated an ethanol fuel cell would be
> invented, so the technology won't be integrated for at least a
few
> years. So it is possible.  Someone just has to be aware of the
> technology and plan to use it.  I don't know how expensive
DLEFC are
> but it is only a matter of time before a concept car is
produced.
> They are probably working on it as we speak.  Just wait and
see.

> http://www.medistechnologies.com
>
> Oil crisis?  I've presented my arguments many times at other
> newsgroups and nobody believed me.  But I'll say this:  I don't
> believe that oil reserves will run out either.  In fact I
believe
> they will last forever.  It is just that it will get harder and
> harder to get the oil out.  At some point it will be so
difficult
> that annual yields will start to decrease no matter how many
oilwells
> are drilled, no matter how much new exploration is performed,
no
> matter how much new technology is used.  This event is called
the
> Hubbert Peak.  The irony is that oil companies will be
reporting
> proven reserves of 100s of billions of barrels remaining, all
the
> while supplies will be failing.  The annual supply of oil,
annual
> yields rather, will follow a bell-curve shape, and the Hubbert
Peak
> will occur long before the proven reserves run out, perhaps as
early
> as 2010, or as late as 2020, but not really very long from now.
So
> the oil will last forever, but eventually supply will not be
able to
> support demand, and the transportation sector is particularly
> vulnerable.  As for "undiscovered oil", the terminology should
make
> you suspicious.  I mean, seriously, what does that mean
anyway?!  You
> should also be suspicious of the US Geological Survey reports,
which
> tend to include reserves based on 5% probabilities, and play
down the
> estimates based on 95% probabilities which are far more
pessimistic.
> They also include in their estimates oil that has already been
> extracted (burned, doesn't exist anymore), as well as
"undiscovered"
> oil.  LOL.  Tar sand & shale estimates might be very optimistic
but
> Suncor abandoned a shale oil project in Australia in April 2001
> because they cannot meet the environmental standards and still
> produce it economically.  Remember that tar sand & shale are
strip
> mined, very destructive for the amounts they intend to produce.
Also
> recently a red flag was waived in Alberta over a tar sand
operator
> that wanted to inject salt water, which is an unwanted
byproduct of
> tar sand oil production, into a fresh water aquifer as a means
of
> disposal.  This has outraged local residents and wildlife
experts,
> who point out that the aquifer feeds numerous lakes in the
area.  In
> my opinion tar sand and shale will not yield the amounts they
are
> reporting  - upwards of 300 billion barrels I believe.  In the
> absense of those reserves Canada has only a few years of cheap
> pumpable oil left, literally 2 years last time I checked.  It
just
> gets worse the more you investigate.  For example more than 50
> countries around the world have already passed their own local
> Hubbert Peak.  The United States passed Hubbert Peak in 1970
and
> their domestic production is down more than 30 percent since
then.
> The pipeline from Alaska is only transporting a fraction of the
gas
> it was designed to carry, and as such the cost is 4-times the
going
> rate.  British Petroleum runs the Alaska Pipeline and they had
to lay
> off something like 20 percent of their on-site staff and 75% of
their
> contractors since the mid-1980s. The North Sea oilfield passed
> Hubbert Peak in 1998, and yields are dropping 11 percent
annually.  I
> looked at European reserves, and a linear graph predicted they
would
> run out completely in 2007.  I guess now that Hubbert Peak has
in
> fact occurred, their oil supply can be expected to last
forever,
> albeit at exponentially decreasing yields.  If the big
oilfields in
> Saudi Arabia pass Hubbert Peak the drop in the worldwide supply
would
> be unmanageable I suspect.  But I'm probably off topic now.
>
> We really need cars that are cargo-proportional (1-passenger,
perhaps
> 2) with perhaps cargo trailers for occasional extra capacity.
For now
> we need flexible fuelled cars that can run on ethanol or
biodiesel,
> so that we can switch over to an alternative fuel without
completely
> decommissioning the vehicle, if necessary.  This trend with
SUVs that
> can carry 7 people but usually only one person, and burn
nothing but
> gasoline is going to get us into alot of trouble.
>

> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > womplex_oo1 wrote:
> >
> > >I think the Merlin Roadster is a significant improvement in
style
> > >compared to the Morgan, Messerschmitt, or the BMW 3-wheeled
cars.

> > Style. Oh. What about utility? Actually the BMW Isetta was a
> > four-wheeler, but the two back wheels were very close
together. I
> > think the Messerschmitt especially got a lot more utility out
of
> its
> > mere 200cc than the Merlin ever will with its 1500cc Harley.
Not
> very
> > efficient, Harleys.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > >I'm going to buy one as soon as I can.  I live alone so I
don't
> care
> > >if it doesn't have a second seat.  I like the fact that the
Merlin
> > >Coup gets 70-90 mpg, that's equal or better than any diesel
or
> hybrid
> > >electric on the market.
> >
> > Huh? Which market is that? There are quite a few diesels on
the
> > market that do better than that. You get that kind of mileage
out
> of
> > real cars these days. And then there's this:
> > http://www.vwvortex.com/news/index_1L.html
> >
> > And also this:
> > http://evworld.com/databases/storybuilder.cfm?storyid=312
> >
> > And by 2003 things will be a lot more interesting yet. I
suppose
> the
> > 70-90 mpg projected for the Coupe is acceptable, and but
35mpg for
> > the Roadster is dreadful. So's the price, for both.
> >
> > >If they made it diesel it'd probably get 120
> > >mpg, and a hybrid-electric version 150.  A direct liquid
fuel cell
> > >version would probably get 400 mpg, but would be too
expensive.
> > >Maybe I'll be lucky, by the time they are in production (mid
2003)
> > >they will be flexible fuelled, i.e. gasoline/ethanol, so I
won't
> have
> > >to do the conversion myself (not that I can't).
> > >
> > >After that I'll start building an ethanol still.  After all,
the
> oil
> > >crisis is coming, say 8 years from now, maybe 12-14 years if
we're
> > >lucky...
> >
> > Been saying that for 50 years. Eg, US Department of State,
"Energy
> > Resources of the World", p. 71 - all known petroleum reserves
will
> be
> > exhausted in 25 years. Date of
> > publication: 1949. Ah, but of course we know *now*...
Scientists
> say
> > that every two years. And every couple years vast new oil
reserves
> > suddenly seem to get discovered. I wrote a news feature in
1980
> > detailing six previous fuel crises where that had happened.
Another
> > eg:
> >
> > "RESTON, Virginia, March 24, 2000 (ENS) - The latest U.S.
Geological
> > Survey (USGS) assessment of the world's oil and gas reserves
> > estimates there is about 20 percent more undiscovered oil
than
> > previously believed."
> >
> > I don't think we'll ever run out of oil. Not that it matters
much.
> > There are very pressing reasons that we can't go on using it
the
> way
> > we do now, whether we're running out of it or not. However
much or
> > however little is left in the reserves, that's right where
most of
> it
> > ought to stay, until we learn to use it properly without
wrecking
> the
> > joint, if we ever do.
> >
> > Best