Keith,

Saponification of oils essentially cracks the tri-glycerides in
the base oil and converts them into FFAs, which are then
converted to soap.

When using the FFAs from the glycerine recovery process of
biodiesel making there is no glycerin to cleave (as there are no
glycerides in the feedstock), thereby saponification happens at a
considerably faster rate. Whether the FFAs are being used by
soapmakers accustomed to cooking the oils for lengthy periods
before trace, or those who prefer cold processing (no exterior
heat inputs) this will completely wig them out.

If using nothing but recovered FFAs the mix will need to be
spooned into moulds, as it goes beyond trace almost immediately
and does not pour in the traditional sense.

Whether or not the qualities of the finished soap are desireable
will depend largely on the original base oil. If traditional soap
from that oil never made a hard bar or lathered well, don't
expect the soap from FFAs of the same oil to behave any
differently. Also, the soap will have no glycerin in it, so it
will posess considerably less emolient character than what a
person is accustomed to with homemade soaps.

The bit in brackets in the paragraph immediately below simply
accounts for raised volumes of fluids due to the addition of gram
weights of solids, such as catalyst. No different than taking a
liter of water and adding a 2 cm in diameter steel ball bearing.
There is no more water in the flask, even though it appears so.

> >You can roughly calculate the glycerin fraction to be ~79
> >milliliters for every liter of oil processed.procedure. The
> >balance of the crude glycerin layer will be FFAs, which can be
> >roughly considered the same as a base oil. (If you want to get
> >"critical," subtract 0.40 ml from the initial volume for every
> >gram of catalyst deemed to be present in the crude glycerin
when
> >calculating what fractions of the crude glycerin are FFAs and
> >glycerin.)

As for whether or not 23% FFA feedstock can be converted to
biodiesel, or at least the remaining 77%, using a straight base
method, I can't see any reason why not. A person could test the
theory by procuring lab grade stearic acid and combining it
proportionally with a virgin oil of known FFA proportion. Most of
what we've been doing here has been geared towards acid/base with
a shift towards elevated temperature and pressure.

If a person was curious to see what difference elevated pressure
can make on an acid/base reaction, some testing could be
conducted using a small pressure cooker of the type found in
commercial restaurants. They're not rated for very much pressure,
but that can be partially compensated for by increasing reaction
time. I certainly wouldn't suggest that anyone unfamiliar with
HTP reactions approach such experimentation casually (also to be
read "carelessly"). I would also suggest that such testing be
done exterior to one's home.

Would be very interesting to see what kind of temperature and
pressure could be achieved using strictly solar and a blackened
pressure cooker. This could reduce some of the energy inputs
needed in backyard or back country environments, for both an
acid/ base or a straight base reaction.

Sad, but true...
http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/reportsdatabase/reports/gen/ge
n014.pdf  A little bench top testing makes it pretty obvious to
anyone that an enormous range of biodiesel will dissolve in
methanol. Which makes evaporative recovery from the biodiesel
extremely important in all production, whether commercial or
backyard, whether home biodieselers want to believe so or not.

Todd Swearingen