Hello Peter

>Thanks for the info Todd and Keith,
>for both the washing advice and the great info on FFAs and soap
>making-but just a couple more qu's.....
>
>Todd have you seen the recipe at
>www.eline2000.com/eline/articles/barsoap/barsoap.htm
>
>What do you think? is it a questionable or sound process described so
>simply?

Crude soap. Try it, see if you can make something worthwhile out of
it. Let us know. I've made such soap but didn't like it much. I don't
have much faith in his recipe though. For instance, he says use a
"stainless steel or aluminum pot". Bad advice, lye reacts with
aluminum. Probably good advice about the citrus.

>Anyway, I will be using a double boiler from now on although it
>appears I have not burned any of the oils (hopefully)-I probably did
>heat the FFA oils/crude glyc too fast-I will now be wary of acrolein.
>How fast is too fast?
>Also, the glyc/wvo mix that I did bring to a boil was still boiling
>after 15-20 min. will it settle down at that kind of temp and stop
>rolling/ boiling when all the methanol has boiled out? Or will it
>keep rolling? I'm just trying to get an idea of how long it will
>take, once boiling to evap that methanol out of 2 litres or so of the
>glyc/FFAs. Every recipe just says boil it off but gives no indication
>of what to look for when the meth might be out of there.

Hard to give precise times because the amount of methanol will vary
widely. What temp did you heat it to? Should be above 150 deg F (66
deg C), the boiling point of methanol is 148.5 deg F (64.7 deg C).
Keep it below 160 F. Ten minutes should be enough. Gentle heat.

>Also Todd, I'm curious from one of the last statements you made in an
>earlier reply to this which was
> > Sad, but true...
> > http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/reportsdatabase/reports/gen/ge
> > n014.pdf  A little bench top testing makes it pretty obvious to
> > anyone that an enormous range of biodiesel will dissolve in
> > methanol. Which makes evaporative recovery from the biodiesel
> > extremely important in all production, whether commercial or
> > backyard, whether home biodieselers want to believe so or not.
>
>Sad but true what... I couldn't open the link but am wondering what
>you are refering to. Air emissions from the Methanol during the
>process and from the waste glycerine?

Todd was replying to this, from me:

>It's said most of the excess methanol ends up in the glycerine
>layer, but I've been reading some studies saying it's about
>half-half in the glyc and in the biodiesel. "... about half of the
>excess methanol is in solution with the ester phase and half is with
>the glycerin phase."  From: "Determining the Influence of
>Contaminants on Biodiesel Properties", Jon H. Van Gerpen et al, Iowa
>State University July 31, 1996:
http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/reportsdatabase/reports/gen/gen014.pdf

I guess Todd's sad it doesn't all end up in the glyc, not the bd.

The study's worth a read. The link gets broken in email transmission.
Copy it into a word-processor and join it up again into one line,
then it should work. The bit at the end should read:
/reports/gen/gen014.pdf

Best

Keith

>Thanks again for the help/advice and expert info-PC

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM