Peter,

All the biodiesel that we've ever made, save for an odd gallon or
two, has been with KOH. Thus the catalyst in the glycerin layer
and the soap is KOH.

KOH is generally used in liquid soap manufacture. NaOH on the
other hand is generally used in bar soap. As you can guess, all
the soap that we've made from the settled crude glycerin layer
has been liquid, not bar.

Still, for those who have little experience with making bar soap,
it shouldn't take but a little trial and error to get it down
using the crude glycerin layer. The website you mention seems to
have done just that.
www.eline2000.com/eline/articles/barsoap/barsoap.htm

All the "back calculating" that I mentioned before is more for
those who want to stay as close as possible to whatever "cookbook
recipe" they might be trying to roughly adhere to. The website
author is correct about the ease with which one can overdo the
caustic and create a bar that leaves your skin bone dry and
flakey, no matter how much glycerin is in it.

So that leaves you with three directions to take. 1) Keep tight
tabs on how much free catalyst is in the crude glycerin
feedstock. 2) Experiment with different amounts of caustic that
eventually give you a bar that your skin is pleased with or 3)
Neutralize the catalyst, which will break down the soap and
separate the glycerin and the recovered FFAs, permitting you to
"start from scratch."

Number 3 is a rather wasteful step if all you intend to do is
manufacture soap. It does have stronger purpose when your
production of biodiesel exceeds your soap needs, which doesn't
take long.

Be aware that the soap from this feedstock (after the methanol is
removed) is heavily glycerated. If an oil is originally 7% FFA,
the glycerin in the crude layer will be approximately 79 ml (53%)
and the FFAs will be approximately 70 ml (47%) for every liter of
oil processed. Yet in the original feedstock the glycerin would
only be 7.9%. You can see that the glycerin ratio changes
drastically depending upon which feedstock is being used. Thus
the "ultra-glycerated" end soap when using the crude glycerin/FFA
layer.

It's rather amazing that a bar soap can support such a high
glycerin ratio and still be a bar.

As for the continued boiling you mentioned after removing the
crude filtered glycerin from heat, that is the methanol boiling
out until the fluid cools down to ~160*F. If you're not dealing
with much volume and are in no hurry, you might try simply
leaving the container open, perhaps in the sun, covering it with
a piece of stretched nylon hose and letting the alcohol simply
evaporate over time. This would save you much of your energy
inputs. (Please see VOC comment below though.)

As for the "sad but true" comment, it is in reference to the high
solubility of biodiesel in methanol, leading to high percents of
residual methanol that hang in the biodiesel layer, rather than
as much as most people think settles out in the crude glycerin
layer. It is this methanol that yields so much of the milky color
in the first wash. Also, methanol is a volatile organic compound
(VOC). Evaporation with no recovery or simply dumping wash water
in the sewer are not at all appealing choices from an
environmental perspective.

(One note here...when a person does conduct catalyst/glycerin/FFA
recovery as mentioned at
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_glycsep.html all the
methanol that is in the crude glycerin/alcohol/FFA layer (or as
close to "all" as one can get in a chemical reaction) settles out
into the glycerin layer, leaving a layer of "pure" FFA feedstock
for soap or fuel.)

Of course, one can always take an empty, black, 100# open-head
keg that the caustic comes in (~20 gallons), hook up a 2"
diameter exit pipe from the center of the lid leading to a
condensor immersed in a shaded water bath (an old, beat up but
vapor tight radiator with a drain line running from the bottom of
the condensor through the bottom of the water bath and into a
collection jug.), place a pot of the crude glycerin/alcohol/FFAs
inside on a  raised grill (as close to the top as possible, as
heat rises), afix the air tight lid and expose the keg to full
sunlight.

Walla!!!! One solar methanol recovery unit (a solar "pot still").

Todd Swearingen