On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Hakan Falk wrote:

> This with preemptive strikes is so dangerous for the whole world, that I
> sincerely hope that it does not happens.

I agree - I hope that we don't attack Iraq. I hope that the small
democratic governments that the Kurds have been forming in northern Iraq
(where the UN is in direct supervision, and Saddam's military is not
allowed) spread to the rest of Iraq. But, I doubt it will happen.

> It will change international law
> and behavior in a way that could have enormous consequences. If we ever are
> going the improve the world, we have to nurture and protect institutions
> like UN.

That's just the point - the members of the UN are making the institution
meaningless. The UN makes an attempt to establish international law. When
someone continually violates those laws for 10+ years, and the UN does
nothing about it, then the UN gradually becomes ineffective. It would be
like having laws in our country, but the police refusing to do anything to
people who broke them.

> If US take unilateral actions outside the vulnerable and in some
> senses imperfect, but only, international institution that we have, the
> damage can be disastrous for all of us and for many generations to come.

I agree - I hope it never comes to that. But, the UN refusing to do
anything to enforce its attempt at creating international laws is making
the UN become meaningless.

Mike

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM