>On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, murdoch wrote:
>
> > but I must admit that
> > what I do question would be to get a handle, down the road, as to
>how *much*
> > fuel this whole system could sustain over a very long period of time, in
> > conjunction with healthy sustainable food production.  As a
>matter of degree,
> > the concepts of sustainable healthy agriculture making both food
>and fuels...
> > how big of an economy can they serve?
>
>That's why we'll eventually need to primarily use oils from algaes for
>making biodiesel (and some from WVO, but that won't account for much). The
>beauty of algaes is that not only can they produce in the neighborhood of
>400 times as much oil per acre as crops like soybeans, but also that they
>are ideally grown in climates that are not suitable for food crops. Algaes
>are ideally grown in shallow saltwater pools in hot climates (i.e. states
>like Arizona would be ideal, as well as Mexico). Aglae pools in desert
>regions would not displace food crops at all.

Have a look in the archives for "algae". Anyway, that's also the
wrong approach, or an inadequate approach, IMO. It's just not going
to work very well without decentralization, localization, and full
exploitation of local micro-niches, which entails the widest variety
of feedstocks and techniques.

> > As for Dingle, he does what Detroit, particularly Union Leaders and Auto
> > Industry Lobbyists, tells him to do, in my opinion, without deviation.
>
>Not entirely. His recent support of diesels does not seem to be what
>Detroit would want. Yes, Ford and Chrysler do make small quantities of
>diesels for the European market - but other automakers are far ahead of
>them. Ford's best diesel is a small version of the Focus (I think) that
>gets around 40 mpg.

Ford and Peugeot are making very impressive diesels. But Detroit  has
been making diesel noises for some time, increasingly so.

Keith

>Compare that to VW's Lupo TDI that gets close to 100
>mpg, or Audi's larger diesel hybrid that gets around 87 mpg.
>
>Mike

Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM