Dear Motie,

I meant more to describe what we have against us and how it works, not to
go into serious technical details. But since you are bringing it up, it
might be a both fruitful and interesting discussion. Maybe your initiative
to bring this to a serious discussion can lead to some good suggestions on
how it could be designed, changed and influenced.

At 07:35 PM 10/3/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Hakan Falk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>I will interpose my comments.
>

> > If I was a lawmaker in US, I would try the following,
> >
> > 1. Introduce legislation that encouraged or forced the development
>of multi
> > fuel engines. This would stop the new ULS technologies to be a
>weapon to
> > maintain the position of the oil industry. It would encourage fuel
> > flexibility and open up more possibilities for the society and the
>people.
> >
>I think I can foresee a problem with multi-fueled engines. They
>would, by necesity, be a 'compromise'. Not as efficient when running
>on Diesel as an engine designed specifically for Diesel, and not as
>efficient on gasoline as one built for gasoline only. Manufacturers
>are already hard pressed to meet fuel-economy/emmissions standards.

I foresee also several classes of multi fuel engines. At least two as
today, high and low compression engines. If we do that, we can at least see
to it that fuel systems etc. can support the fuels in the classes.

> > 2. I would put in place tax incentives and subsidies to get the bio
>fuel
> > industry to move much faster. This way I probably would achieve the
> > environmental advantages of ULS in the same time frame, but with
>less oil
> > dependence.
>

>It isn't tax incentives or subsidies that are needed. It is the
>burdensome regulations that prevent any meaningful development. I
>don't mean to imply that the regulations should be ignored, but that
>bureaucrats should be much more timely in the processing of them. 18
>months for an air-quality permit is excessive! The permitting process
>is also in a consecutive order. You can't apply for all the needed
>Permits concurrently. By the time one gets half way through the
>permit process, either the initial permits have expired, or the
>qualifying standards have changed. Investors are very difficult to
>find/keep in this scenario.

This must be done better. Roadblocks and corruption.

>  Politically connected entities routinely proceed without permits,
>and get away with it. It's cheaper to pay fines and penalties than it
>is to wait for the permits. Non-politically connected entities go to
>jail for it.

Systematic protection by corruption

> > The above seems to be the route in Europe and if not it should be.
> >
> > I would achieve the following,
> >
> > 1. My party had to stop talking to me, in order to get the
>important funding.
> >
> > 2. I would not have enough money to be reelected.
> >
> > 3. It would not be a job opening, when I left politics.
> >
>I believe you have an accurate grasp of the current situation!

Thank you, but how to get a change?

> > Hakan
> >

>  Motie
>

>Biofuel at Journey to Forever:
>
>Biofuels list archives:
>http://archive.nnytech.net/
>
>Please do NOT send Unsubscribe messages to the list address.
>To unsubscribe, send an email to:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Home Selling? Try Us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM