> I'm looking for information on three points. 1st I need an idea of where to
>look for oil content of various plants, 2nd,  information of the  cost of
>gasoline
>compared to various alternative energy sources...cradle to grave, and 3rd,
>the impact on the economy of reducing the production and use of petroleum
>based fuels.
>John Busby

Not content, but yields, which might help:

Vegetable oil yields:
-- ascending order
-- alphabetical order
Other oil crops
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield.html
Vegetable oil yields, characteristics: Journey to Forever

Check out the databases in "Other oil crops".

Information on oil content for various crops here:
http://idh.vita.org/pubs/docs/upe.html
Understanding Pressure Extraction of Vegetable Oils

On point 2, this will either help or complicate:

Friday December 5, 1997 1:38 pm Eastern Time
Company Press Release
SOURCE: Fuels for the Future
'True Cost' of Middle East Oil Exceeds $100 Per Barrel, U.S. Desert
Storm Military Leader Says; Ethanol Cleans Air In Brazil

NEW YORK, Dec. 5 /PRNewswire/ -- Wall Street Journal readers have
been straightened out on the benefits of domestic ethanol, and it
took a former commander of the U.S. Air Force's Strategic Air Command
and principal air planner for Operation Desert Storm to do it:

The true cost of importing oil from the Middle East "exceeds $100 a
barrel," retired Air Force Gen. G. Lee Butler wrote the newspaper in
a published letter entitled "Fuel Grade Ethanol: Let's Clear the Air."

Gen. Butler, of Omaha, Neb., is chairman of the Clean Fuels
Foundation. As chief air planner for Desert Storm, he was a central
figure in the military might put together by U.S. and allied forces
to free Kuwait from the invasion by Saddam Hussein's Iraqi forces.

The acknowledged purpose of Desert Storm was to protect oil imports
for the U.S. -- which Gen. Butler finds costly indeed.

Answering previous letter-to-the-editor writers in the Wall Street
Journal, Gen. Butler noted that no mention was made of "the true cost
of imported oil."

"When externalities such as environmental and health costs, the loss
of domestic jobs and basic industries, the trade deficit, commitments
of military resources to ensure the free flow of oil from the Middle
East and threats to our energy and national security are included,
the true cost of imports even now exceeds $100 a barrel, according to
the General Accounting Office," Gen. Butler wrote.

Gen. Butler also said production of ethanol and other biofuels from
feed grains and oilseeds..."must ensure environmental integrity from
the dirt to the tailpipe," and noted that modern farming practices
save topsoil, not erode it.

"As the nation commercializes the conversion of ethanol and other
biofuels from cellulosic biomass, the planting of grasses and trees
on erodible land will bring increased levels of top soil to farm
lands, a process already well under way," he said.

Responding to comments about ethanol's wide use as automotive fuel in
Brazil, Gen. Butler said:

"Essentially all cars in Brazil run on ethanol, either in blends of
22 percent ethanol/78 percent gasoline or 99 percent ethanol...They
run well and the public is pleased."

Gen. Butler said "air quality in Sao Paulo, Brazil, with a population
of 14 million, is better than in Los Angeles, New York City or
Houston, Texas."

Gen. Butler's response was the latest in a series of discussions of
ethanol in the Wall Street Journal, following an article by former
director of the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency, R. James Woolsey,
who wrote:

"Replacing gasoline with biomass-derived ethyl alcohol would greatly
reduce man-made greenhouse-gas emissions...

"Over the past 15 years the cost of producing a gallon of alcohol
from corn has been cut in half," Woolsey, a Washington lawyer, said,
"to about $1 a gallon. If the new technology were to make it possible
for costs to fall another 30 to 40 cents, alcohol would become
competitive with gasoline when oil reaches around $25 a barrel."

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM