I've never heard fuel tax be called road tax. That term is reserved
for the annual licencing tax.  There are several fuel tax levels,
heating fuel tax and off road fuel tax, both very low, and road fuel
tax, very high. It has never been claimed that this tax is for
spending on the roads and no reason for it to be.
Malcolm

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Hakan Falk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
the
> >fuel, but for using it on-road without paying the tax. The onus is
on
> >the user. Here's the message we received:
> >
> > >... from World Energy ...
> > >
> > >Snip>
> > >We run into a lot of small producers who are trying to do the
right thing,
> > >but I would be remiss if I did not warn about the severity of
cutting
> > corners
> > >from an IRS or EPA standpoint.
> > >Any biodiesel producer or seller needs to understand that any
biodiesel used
> > >(not sold)as fuel in an on-road vehicle is subject to on-road
tax. We have a
> > >number of producers around the country who do not want to deal
with the tax,
> > >and sell it tax exempt. This fuel does often end up in peoples
vehicles.
> > Just
> > >as you and I pay tax at the pump, it is the user who is
ultimately
> > >responsible for road tax.
> > >
> > >We just had a small producer in another state in a similar
situation. They
> > >own a number of diesel vehicles and have been using it for about
a year.
> > They
> > >were just hit with bill for $0.31/gallon State excise tax plus
penalties and
> > >interest for every gallon they have produced. In addition, since
the
> > fuel was
> > >used in on-road vehicles, the Federal Government can (and most
likely will)
> > >fine up to $10.00/gallon for every gallon used. The organization
in Maine is
> > >a non-profit agency and is therefore tax exempt. They also do
not sell any
> > >fuel to te outside world.
> > >
> > >Many of these small producers are yet to realize how sad the
ending may
> > be. I
> > >don't mean to sound rude or abrupt, but the tax consequences can
be quite
> > >severe. I have already seen it happen once. I think we will see
it happen
> > >again.
> >
> >It might be interesting to compare the subsidies gallon-for-gallon
> >used for fossil fuels and biofuels, or not even necessary - we all
> >know which way that goes. A lot of us see no justification in
taxing
> >biofuels at all. This is what someone on another list just said
about
> >it:
> >
> > >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >From: John Archibald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > >Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 14:19:15 -0500
> > >Subject: [wastewatts] Frying Squad
> > >
> > >Keith,
> > >
> > >I'm glad this has happened in the Northeast. Boston is in the
Northeast.
> > >There was a certain "social gathering" there in the 1770s that
sparked a
> > >revolution due to what was perceived as an unjust tax on a
certain
> > >beverage.
> > >
> > >I think a little non-violent protest is needed to bring home the
ideas.
> > >If I were out there, I would try to get arrested and then fight
it in
> > >court.
> > >
> > >Pretty soon they'll have to tax the Amish because they feed their
> > >carriage hauling  horses soybeans and hay! Then you will have a
case
> > >involving religion and fuel. Can any lines be drawn then? I
think the
> > >Constitution would be a pretty safe place to hide at that
point. "The
> > >pursuit of happiness and freedom from religious persecution" or
> > >something like that comes to mind.
> > >
> > >Archibald
> >
> >Tea, anyone?
> >
> ><snip>
> >
> >Nice outline for your presentation. Please tell us how it goes, and
> >best of good luck.
> >
> > >this is the best forum in all of yahoo.!
> > >keep it up keith.
> >
> >Thankyou Dan! I'll buy you a virtual beer for that. :-) But it's
the
> >whole gang, not just me. The complete catastrophe, as they say, not
> >just the match that lit the fuse.
> >
> >All best
> >
> >Keith
> >
> > >dan rosen
> >

> >Biofuel at Journey to Forever:
> >http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html
> >
> >Biofuels list archives:
> >http://archive.nnytech.net/
> >
> >Please do NOT send Unsubscribe messages to the list address.
> >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM