>Joe's asking about the protein content of DDG, Distillers Dried
>Grains, the by-product, not the distillate, usually fed neither to
>people nor fuel tanks but livestock.

Lol, sounds like a big goof on my part. Although when I was helping the
brewmaster at a commercial brewery here in California. There was a farmer
who always picked up our spent grains wet. He would get our mashing
schedule and show up right as we were dumping the grains into 55 gallon
cans. We typically had 8 or more cans full of spent barley and he would
take them all. After being curious about his use of them he told me that
his cows produced more milk, calves grew faster, and the general health of
his cattle was much better when he fed them our spent grains. I had always
wondered why I would bury my own grains only to find out my Dachshunds
would immediately dig them up and eat as much as they could (obviously
sugar content).

They only issue with wet grains was that they tended to start to compost
within an hour or so of being dumped. In the garden the compost from these
grains was amazingly rich. I used it in my garden continuously with great
results. Nitrogen content increased. All in all the spent barley are a
great product for both feed for livestock and compost and many commercial
breweries are only too happy to give you as much as you want.

Tad

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM