>Hot Dog,
>
>I will be willing to bet that if you ask a specific question you will
>get an answer.
>
>If you need someone to hold your hand while you do this, It may be
>difficult seeing as members of the list are spread around the world.
>
>fred

Agree. But we do our best. If there's a better way of virtually
holding someone's virtual hand than this, then would some kind soul
please tell me of it:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html
Make your own biodiesel:

Three choices
1. Mixing it
2. Straight vegetable oil
3. Biodiesel
Biodiesel
Where do I start?
What's next?
The process
Our first biodiesel
Biodiesel from new oil
Biodiesel from waste oil
Washing
Using biodiesel
How much methanol?
More about lye
How much lye to use?
Basic titration
Better titration
Accurate measurements
pH meters
Phenolphthalein
High FFA levels
Deacidifying WVO
No titration?
The basic lye quantity -- 3.5 grams?
Mixing the methoxide
PET bottle mixers
Viscosity testing
How the process works
Which method to use?
Other uses
Identifying plastics
Separating glycerine/FFAs

And much besides. Sure, it ain't perfect, but we keep improving it as
we can, and it's one helluva lot more than we had to go on when we
started, and most of us here I think.

Hot Dog, if you think we're just "political activists" here (what's
"political" mean? - it usually means "stuff I don't agree with") and
we just talk and don't know how to do, why not have a look at the
archives? It's a HUGE resource of everything to do with biofuels and
biodiesel, making it, using it, campaigning for it, even drinking it.
The archives link is at the bottom of every message.

I would say though, that you might be trying to run before you've
learnt to walk. Titration looks a bit complicated for you, so you
jump to the two-stage processes to avoid titration. But those are
advanced processes, and you're not an advanced biodieseler, you're a
novice. For instance, "... app 3.5g sodium hydroxide" -
approximately? That might be okay for your first minibatch trial of
virgin oil, but beyond that it's not good enough.

I'd advise staying with the single-stage transesterification method
for the time being, as in Mike Pelly's method. And learn how to do
titration, it's not very difficult and you'll find all you need in
the resources above.

If you still don't want to titrate, then do small trial batches using
different amounts of NaOH. Mike also describes that. Do a series of
minibatches, just half a litre a time: with used oil, start with 6g
NaOH per litre of oil, as that's about average (though it can vary
very widely), plus one at 5g and one at 7g, see which gives the best
separation. If none do, go higher, 1g/litre at a time. When you hit
one that separates well, bracket it in another minibatch series with
half a gram each side. But "app." won't do! Get good scales accurate
to at least half a gram, preferably 0.1g, get good measuring flasks.
Work at it a bit.

By the way, quite a lot of people do both titration and minibatches,
and say it's worth the effort.

When you can do this reliably, move on to the two-stage methods, if
you like. You'll learn a lot working on the single-stage method. Many
of us are quite satisfied with that, though the two-stage methods
have some worthwhile advantages.

Here's an easy and safe way of mixing the methoxide:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_aleksnew.html#easymeth

Best wishes

Keith

>--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Hot Dog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I was just wondering if there is anyone who reads these messages
>that
> > actually knows anything about biodiesel production.
> > Or is this just a political activists site ?
> > Please could someone let me know as I am in need of assistance,
>should I
> > search for other sites or just give up ?
> >
> > Many thanks

Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM