Well large-scale seaweed cultivation has been going on in east asia
for centuries.  China is currently the world's largest producer
cultivating over 4 million tonnes annually.  The worldwide total is
nearly 7 million tonnes of seaweed.  Check out the photo...

http://seaweed.ucg.ie/cultivation/nori_cultivation_scans/PorphyraNets.
jpg

I don't think it is adversely affecting the climate.  In some cases
seaweed produced is used as feed in polyculture activities, to
increase fish stocks.

Compared to some of the ideas out there for replacing/reducing
petroleum consumption, seaweed cultivation is positively low-tech and
in my opinion, fairly benign.

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], murdoch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> These very grand ideas, while they can be fun to engage in, can
often
> bring with them a certain sustained ignoring of the Precautionary
> Principle.  So I think that would be a basis for cogent criticism as
> well.  I think this is inherent to your criticism, I am just stating
> it more broadly, explicitly:
>
> Proposals for global-scale new ways of doing things should be
> subjected to peer-activist-review, as best we can, to find ways that
> they might have drawbacks from a Global Earth Science standpoint.
> Criticisms which arise, I would say, should not be regarded as valid
> reasons to dismiss the ideas out-of-hand necessarily, but should be
> given some due consideration.
>
> In this case, I agree that the oceans and the energy incident upon
> them are firmly inter-twined in our present global ecosystem and
that
> a global-scale project for changing that setup could be hazardous to
> our health.  IMO, of course.
>
> MM

> >>it
Hakan