Tad wrote:

> >Probably they would - too bad!
> >
> >I think 18 years, not 22. They both first came out in 1984, which is
> >when I started using them (both). In 1984 I used PCs to run Hong
> >Kong's first fully computerised magazine production set-up. Then we
> >got a Mac to test, and that was that. I still use PCs sometimes, when
> >I have to, but I grumble a lot, takes me twice as long. My partner
> >Midori uses PCs quite a lot, just as expert on both, but she sneers
> >at PCs. We both concentrate on information processing, which covers
> >quite a wide range, but no programming. To each his own, eh?
> >
> >My main complaint is that people who use Windoze don't seem to learn
> >much. Not even how to copy and paste, sometimes. You see all those
> >urls people *type*, and get them wrong?? LOL! You can't help learning
> >with a Mac, you're hardly aware it's happening. It's a pity, for
> >instance, that so many people don't know how to handle the
> >information on an email list very well. Like this one - average 25
> >messages a day, not very high volume, but people leave because
> >they're getting "swamped". Others complain about bandwidth, but I
> >suspect that's often because their in-box gets clogged. Others want
> >to be topic cops and complain about all the "other" stuff - same
> >problem, I think. Others yet advise them to use the Delete key - but
> >why? You keep no record that way, build up no resources. Then they
> >come back later saying they've "lost" this email address or that url
> >from a previous message. That's not how to use computers. These are
> >also the ones who don't see the disadvantages of web boards. Wanna
> >bet which platform they use?
> >
> >Best
> >
> >Keith
>
>Yes, 1984, Apple II Plus was my first. I was actually 14
>at the time. Took me almost a year of mowing lawns to buy
>it. I used it to program wireframe 3D pools using basic
>and then dream of how it would be to skateboard in them lol.
>
>My dad worked for IBM at the time as a programmer of accounting
>software. He had been in since the 8081. Both did the same things
>at the time but I could later play The first Ultima game on my
>Apple! Green screen and tape drive woohoo!
>
>I always had the notion that it was the Mac crowd that didn't want to
>learn, hence the reason they wanted an "easy" os to use. I never did get
>it. Computers take learning period.

Yes, but a lot of the more recent users - since the WWW took off -
think it's a sort of electric typewriter. The skill level seems to be
very low. I still see tables aligned by inserting spaces so they even
up on that screen, in that font, and so on.

Look at the ever-growing popularity of PDFs, true web-garbage - it's
irrevocably page-oriented, uselessly so, but so many people still
think in paper, make print-outs, no real idea what digitized info is,
let alone how to use it, or how to organize it and store it.

It's not that Macs are easy to learn that attracted me, and still
does, it's that they're much more rational - it works for me, instead
of me having to work for it, and tie up all its little loose
shoelaces for it, and wipe its little tail for it all the time. That
other stuff just keeps getting in my way, bad integration, and it
insists on shoving help that's more a hindrance down my throat. It's
MS, they can't help it. The MS stuff doesn't even understand itself.
The interface between Word, PowerPoint and Excel, for instance, is
pathetic. And it didn't used to be, up to about 1992. These days I
have to use it sometimes, but not by choice, and not without
grumbling. It's even worse on a PC.

Actually I'm not interested in computers, only in what I do with them
- that I'm quite happy to learn, but I get impatient at having to
learn superfluous crap that's got nothing to do with the work, only
with the tool, because it's poorly implemented. It's not just an
opinion - I spent a couple of years using PCs all the time for my job
(but not for my own work), and I was as good as anyone else with it,
but a large amount of that time was spent working for the machine
instead of its working for me. I was doing similar work at home in
half the time, with better results. (Writing, info-crunching,
editing, typesetting, page layout and design, graphics, camera-ready
stuff.)

>But Linux/BSDI will make you
>throw your monitor out the window till you get used to it. Once past that
>it hardly ever crashed regardless if running on CISC or RISC based hardware.
>
>It's all the same crap to me. I just want to see the day when cars
>don't burn hydrocarbon based fuels.

Amen!

>I would give up ALL computers
>and maybe even my woman to see that! well....maybe not my woman
>just yet.

Depends if she drives a guzzler or not, eh? LOL!

>Back in 87 when I  used to play with Yggdrasil Linux, Kernel .81 something
>not many people really knew what all that stuff was, let alone the Internet.
>My G4 is running OS 10 which is essentially a hacked version of BSDI
>or similar. Funny how everyone thinks it's "godly" and yet it is really
>what we have all been running for decades, minus the multiprocessor
>kernel and Xwindows. But I like the fact that going to a Unix kernel
>has made a much more stable OS for Mac. FreeBSD and BSDI are still
>my favorites but I needed other apps for my Pic processors. I guess
>I could still dual-boot.
>
>I once heard a saying by (I think it was Linus Torvalds dunno):
>
>"He who sacrifices functionality for ease of use, gets neither, and
>deserves neither" How true. But I won't give up my Mac so easily.
>I just put over $2500 into it for god sakes! = )

There's no sacrifice of functionality on a Mac, quite the opposite.
It's the functionality that sells me on it every day. It's not a
trade-off, no way. I'm quite an evolved user, as you are, it's not
just elementary stuff. I also don't have problems with system
stability. OS8.6 was solid, so are 9.1 and 9.2, very seldom crashes.
Eventually I suppose I'll be forced to do OSX, but I don't feel any
need yet, and it means a massive software upgrade which I'll
definitely avoid as long as possible.

Just had another letter from a swampee, I get one like this every
week or so: "Can you please unsubscribe me from your biofuel group
I'm recieving to much information to be of any use ??"

What does that mean? What is "too much information"? There's no such
thing. Let alone a real searcher, even my email program's search
function can search a 20Mb mailbox in two seconds, and a 90Mb mailbox
in four seconds. Apart from the fact that every email he gets has the
unsub address, twice. Any bets which platform he uses?

Keith

>Tad

Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/jd3IAA/FGYolB/TM