On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 02:16:42 +0900, you wrote:

>This isn't very authoritative - not much detail, no references to
>support it. Anyone know any more about this?
>
>Best
>
>Keith

Short answer: I don't know any more about it, but do not dismiss it
entirely out of hand, as a partial explanation.  I doubt that it is
the only reason Hemp is so irrationally criminalized in the U.S.

Long Answer: Regardless of any given theory for the underlying "real"
reasons Hemp is excluded from legalized commerce in the states, it's
something that irks me.  When I was deciding as to which issues to
really settle in on and research and focus on, in a narrower way, for
things that would make for good discussion and activism (i.e., my
"hacking"), opposing the Drug War was on my short list, but I
ultimately chose some other areas.

I think that U.S. exportation of our "War On Drugs" (i.e., our War on
U.S. Citizens, Entrepeneurs and Citizens of other countries) is one of
the most powerful examples anyone could name of horrific unjust slimy
US Policy, not only domestic policy but Foreign as well.

We have exported Hate, Destruction, Death, Black Marketeering,
non-free markets (in any real sense) and anti-entrepeneurialism, while
at the same time sending our dollars abroad to buy the drugs we preach
must be stamped out.  It is sickening to me that we have done this,
helped bring Caponeism for example to Columbia and Baja California,
and I can only console myself that it is not the only thing the U.S.
has done, that my country has some good that it has done and tried to
do, and that while the Drug War is one of the great-untalked-abouts
and great-injustices, it is not the sole defining characteristic of my
country.  At least, that is my opinion.  I am in a bit of a hurry
today and hope that I am not putting things overly strongly.

The prevention of production and trade of Hemp is only perhaps the
most obviously stupid thing here, because even if one things that
"bad" drugs should be made illegal, the benefits of Hemp are so
obvious, and the fact that it generally is not the same strain (I
guess is more or less the right way to put it) as the plant which is
grown for its narcotic effect, that there's sort of this dichotomy
where everyone sort of agrees that even if we keep the drug war in
place, the war on Hemp is in the eyes of some, less justifiable.

I've heard it said that part of what makes U.S. paper currency unique
is that hemp is used in the paper, but I'm not sure if this is true.
Maybe the whole matter, the whole giant friggin hypocrisy of it all,
makes me so upset that I decided to focus on less upsetting things
like the needless throwing away of American Economy and Policy
Independence to those who have zero interest in a sustainable future
for any decent values, economies, societies, or whatever, particular
to those whose focus is to prevent progress in energy technologies.