I read thru the page listed here. I have a few comments about the
circumstances driving the engine development that the writer of these
webpages didnt pick up on.

 I was working in a family owned gasoline and diesel fuel service
station during the 1972 Arab Oil Embargo, as we have been taught to
call it.   During that time period I watched with personal interest
as gasoline prices rose from 27 cents per gallon to well over a
dollar.  At the same time diesel fuel prices remained well below 60
cents.  As I remember things, diesel started in the 15 cent area
peaked at 55 cents and then dropped back into the 30 cent range.
While gasoline peaked at a Dollar 40 cents and settled out at around
a Dollar per gallon. As a service station, our fuel supplies were
rationed to a gallon figure per month for gasoline, but we could get
as much diesel fuel as we could pump.

While I am sure that the 'oldsmobile diesel engine' delivered
superior fuel economy as stated by the webmaster, fuel economy was
not the driving factor in the deveolopment of the passenger car
diesel engine.  Fuel prices and availability had alot more impact in
the reality of the situation.

The initial customer base for the diesel engines around here were
farmers who had a well grounded understanding on how to operate and
maintain a diesel engine. I watched a series of my neighbors and
customers buy cars and pickups with these engines installed, and then
go throught sheer misery trying to keep them running right. So yes I
agree with the assesment that overall the engine was not GM's best
effort.  Considering the speed of introduction, I would also agree
that it appeared that GM took their standard chevrolet small block
350 and slapped a few ancilliary parts on it then called it a diesel
engine.  While it eventually turned into a decent engine (after about
10 years of tinkering) the first models were unreliable, expensive
parts spronges and repair shop queens.