I was in Costco over the weekend and looked at the price of corn oil. It
was about $3.20 a gallon. If nature, or nature's God, has provided us
with a vast supply of naturally occurring petroleum, it seems like it
does not make economic sense to make bio fuels, even if you had no tax at
all. Even with the tax, gasoline is only $1.50 a gallon, and that is in
the middle of a crisis of the world oil supply because of the prospect
of another Gulf War and also the political crisis in Venezuela. So,
if there were no tax on gasoline, or a lot less, it would be even more
favorable than biofuels.  It does not seem to make sense to do the
chemistry yourself when it has already been done for you, and there are
vast untapped resources of it sitting in the ground. If we ever run out
of petroleum, we can always still grow corn and turn it into corn oil
or alcohol to burn. But for now, both are economically a bad idea.

It is analagous to turning lead into gold. It can be done today with our
knowledge of nuclear physics, but the cost of doing so is more than the
market price of gold. Why make gold when there is an abundant supply
sitting in the ground just waiting to be mined?

There is virtue in not being dependant on Middle Eastern oil, mostly
because it is foolish to tie our national economy, and hence its security,
to a region of the world devoid of democracy and social justice, where
most of the countries are backward dictatorships. Even our "friends"
the Saudis, are a backward corrupt dictatorship.

Damian Anderson

--
Damian J. Anderson   [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.unification.net