(Apologies for cross-posting)...this is in response to a discussion on
the "biofuels" list EB

Damian, Keith and all:

Going to jump in here for a minute:

I was going to go to an electric a few years ago. Then I drove one. No
range, need for $$batteries, etc. led me to look for something better.
Biodiesel and SVO were it. Emissions, range, cost,safety, simplicity,
renewability on an annual basis, etc. were all favourable compared to
other fuels.

But I needed to convince myself first. So I spent a year researching
and writing a sustainability-focused thesis in the topic. What really
prompted to work in this field was reading Josh Tickell's book, as so
many others have done. In my case, the interesting part was the last
section, not the parts on making biodiesel or blends. The economy and
simplicity of SVO was appealing, but the welded aluminum tank, and
hose-in-hose, etc. were overly complicated and too expensive. There had
to be a simpler way! Also, a motivating statement was one in that book
made by a researcher that, to parapharse:

"Clearly the use of straight vegetable oil is not practical, since the
whole system has to be heated from one end to the other" - something
like that.

I am always suspicious when researchers sniff and use the words
"Clearly....blah,blah,blah"!!

It just did not make sense. I felt they were tossing out the baby with
the bath water - maybe because they were working in an area that sees a
lot of -30C in the winter!!

But that is not every place, and certainly not every place that has a
lot of problems with air quality (PM from diesels being a major
contributor in urban areas).  So, I really jsut wanted to see if it was
a correct statement or not. Well, it wasn't. And the design in the book
was lousy.

Being convinced that this was a good way to go but that there would be
an emerging market for simpler systems that cost less and made it easy
and inexpensive for people to use SVO, I started a company, along with
local machinist and inventor Henry Mackaay.

We're going into our third year and the business is now growing fast -
this will be by far our best year - it seems we are not alone in our
thinking, since we've sold the kit to many countries around the world,
and are getting quite a bit of positive feedback. We continue to try
and make it better and will be working on more sophisticated options
for the newer engines as time goes along.

NOTE:(By the way, on a side note, we are having VERY good results on a
recent switch to use of a looped SVO return, and return-to-tank Diesel
arrangement, using a 10 micron filter, even in cold weather. That is
now the standard, and the way the kit ships. We have had no air  bubble
problems - we used to, in early days, so shied away from loops for a
while...but they way we have it all sorted out now, it is working very
well)

As for the thesis:

  I have put in on line as a pdf, as supporting documentation for the
overall concept. It is not overly technical, it covers many of the
"hows and why's" of both general and specific aspects of use of these
fuels. It is free, online, or if anyone wants a hard copy printed off
and mailed, I can to that on an as-requested basis,  for a fee, just
send an email.

So, if anyone cares to have a read, the thesis is on our web site under
the tab called "articles"

"Renewable Oil Fuels and Diesel Engines as Components of Sustainable
System Design"

Research Question:

"Are renewable oils as fuels in unmodified compression ignition
(diesel) engines a technically and economically feasible component of
sustainable system design, in both developing and developed countries?"

I have been rebuilding the web site for  a better look, easier
navigation, etc. and will be adding more links, information, products,
etc. soon.

We are probably going to go to PayPal, as well since it is so popular
as an online ordering service (we use KAGI for now, also a good service
but not as well known.)

In the meantime, there are extensive links to interesting research
listed at the end of the thesis pdf. ,in the references section. I
think many will find some of these of interest, as well as having a
look at the thesis sub-topics per their specific interests.

Sincerely,

Edward Beggs B.E.S., M.Sc.
President, Neoteric Biofuels Inc.
Westbank, British Columbia, Canada