I got pretty excited about plans for a 1200 watt inverter, then I saw
that it was square wave,  and used a transformer that probably weighs a
couple Kg.
Switch-mode design comes to mind, but that is a fairly complicated
subject that I don't know a lot about.
I am thinking about trying a "Class-D" style design, a pulse-width
modulated switcher that doesn't require a large transformer.