Hello everyone,

I'm Kavitha, back again into biofuels.  As I had already mentioned a few months
back, I had some problems in convincing my prof. at college to take up
"production of biodiesel" as my project for M.Sc. in Environmental Science.  At
last, I have convinced him and I have also started producing biodiesel from
Mahua oil using ethanol and acid catalyst.

I have been following the procedures given in the various websites.  The
problem is: I don't get two layers of biodiesel and glycerol after the settling
period.  Instead, I get a bottom layer, which resembles biodiesel and a top
layer of clear liquid (pale green in colour).  I'm not sure whether the top
layer is ethanol but i'm pretty sure about the bottom layer as its properties
are similar to that of diesel.

Now, where has the glycerol gone?  Or, will I not get glycerol when I use acid
catalyst instead of NaOH?  What can I do with the top layer? I have also found
out that the boiling point of the top layer is around 78 deg. Celsius.  So,
taking it to be ethanol, can I reuse it? (But, its colour stops me from
re-using it!).  I'm a bit confused.  Can anyone help me?

Kavitha.