From: kavitha palaniappan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 01, 2003 10:27 AM
Subject: [biofuel] Biodiesel using acid catalyst

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm Kavitha, back again into biofuels.  As I had already
mentioned a few months back, I had some problems in convincing my
prof. at college to take up "production of biodiesel" as my
project for M.Sc. in Environmental Science.  At last, I have
convinced him and I have also started producing biodiesel from
Mahua oil using ethanol and acid catalyst.

> I have been following the procedures given in the various
websites.  The problem is: I don't get two layers of biodiesel
and glycerol after the settling period.  Instead, I get a bottom
layer, which resembles biodiesel and a top layer of clear liquid
(pale green in colour).  I'm not sure whether the top layer is
ethanol but i'm pretty sure about the bottom layer as its
properties are similar to that of diesel.

> Now, where has the glycerol gone?  Or, will I not get glycerol
when I use acid catalyst instead of NaOH?  What can I do with the
top layer? I have also found out that the boiling point of the
top layer is around 78 deg. Celsius.  So, taking it to be
ethanol, can I reuse it? (But, its colour stops me from re-using
it!).  I'm a bit confused.  Can anyone help me?