Hi Curtis

>Keith,
>
>May I say that such comments, only increases my sadness.  Sadness in that
>"such comments" only confirm my suspicions that the PR organizations and the
>Propaganda they generate is slowly, but apparently surely .... working.

And the the media, especially TV more than any other, and the
Astroturf groups, and the "think-tanks" with their big industry
budgets and their sound-byte-sized "research" results,
"peer-reviewed" in the media... $35 million a year on PR, another
$100 million on advertising, plus how much on the rest of it, plus
how much on lobbying?

But the counter-spin is working too, and the Internet surely helps -
very hard to say if more people are falling asleep or more people are
waking up, but I'll root for the waking up bit, just on principle if
nothing else.

>How lonely it will be .... when critical thinking .... disappears.   And we
>become nothing more than (as Pink Floyd so poetically put it) "Another Brick
>in the Wall".

Yes... but there's this one too, and a few others:

http://journeytoforever.org/text_pinkfloyd.html
No more turning away, Pink Floyd

>"Swallowing the Party Line .... Hook, Line, and Sinker" eh??

Seems so, Curtis. Something puzzles me though... Aleks and I have
just been talking about fly-fishing - he checked out our new location
on a map, up here in the mountains, lots of streams and rivers, and
he reckons the fishing should be great. Seems he's right, by all
accounts. So, with swallowing the Party Line .... Hook, Line, and
Sinker - where's the bait?

There's talk of channel-surfers and net-surfers with the measured
attention span of a goldfish (nine seconds), but even a goldfish
isn't dumb enough to take an unbaited hook.

Yes, I know - PR isn't so much about telling you what to believe,
it's at least as much about making you WANT to believe one thing
rather than another. Emotional, not rational. Rational argument,
facts, evidence and so on is then futile, it just bounces off. You
can see it, eh?

Regards

Keith