Please state sources.

----- Original Message -----
From: "bratt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 22:36
Subject: Re: [biofuel] Dirty Bombing

> There are three basic forms of DU rounds.  The "sabot" which is just an
armour piercing round,  armor >piercing "incendary" and  "shaped charge"
which is an explosive round.

All the API that I know of, use zirconium or a conventional ( non DU )
pyrotechnic bursting charge, not DU for the incendiary component.

Shaped Charges are made most often with a copper liner, with copper nickel
next favored. If DU was used, they would have to reduce the weight of the
explosive component, which the round relies on in the first place, not a
good idea.

>   Rounds used range from 20MM to 105MM
>
>   105's are artillary shells.  Some rounds are finned.

The M1 has a 105mm gun. What about the 120mm smoothbore guns of the M1-A1?
Artillery barrels can not handle sabots, the best they can use is shaped
charge warheads if it looks like armor is about to turn them into scrap.

> One of the first uses of DU was in mortar round warheads.

When was this, and for what use was the DU used in them?

> Then, there Is the Hellfire anti-armor missile fired by Apache helicopters

Single shaped charge, duel shaped charges, or straight blast, depending on
the model used. Last I checked, DU wasn't used in any of them.

Greg H.

Save Smiley. Help put Messenger back in the office.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4PqtEC/anyFAA/i5gGAA/FGYolB/TM