I didn't get much out of  "DU use in munitions", but, got more info. with
"DU Munitions".

Some of what I found is:

"One of the Army's first uses of DU was as a ballistic weight in the
spotting round for the Davy Crockett mortar warhead." ( It is unclear on if
it is still in use.)

"DU is currently used in kinetic cartridges for the Army's 25mm BUSHMASTER
cannon (M2/3 Bradley Fighting Vehicle), the 105mm cannon (M1 and M60 series
tanks) and the 120mm cannon (M1A1 and M1A2 Abrams Tank). The M1A1 (HA), the
Heavy Armor variant of the M1A1, also employs layered DU for increased armor
protection. The Marines use DU tank rounds in their own M1-series tanks and
a 25mm DU round in the GAU-12 Gatling gun on Marine AV-8 Harriers."

"The Army has tested limited quantities of small caliber DU ammunition
(5.56mm, 7.62mm and 50 caliber). However, the Army produced these rounds in
limited quantities for developmental testing only and evaluation and never
type-classified them for standard use."

"The 50-caliber sniper rifle did fire an API (armor piercing incendiary)
round, but the round did not contain DU. There have been similar claims that
cruise missiles fired during the Gulf War contained DU. DU is used to
simulate the weight of a nuclear warhead in the developmental testing and
evaluation of the nuclear version of certain cruise missiles, but no cruise
missiles fired during the Gulf War contained DU."

"The US Navy designed its Phalanx Close-In Weapon System (CIWS) as a
last-ditch defense against sea-skimming missiles. The Navy evaluated a wide
range of materials before deciding on DU alloyed with 2 percent molybdenum
(DU-2Mo).[203] Phalanx production started in 1978, with orders for 23
systems for the US Navy and 14 systems for foreign militaries. However, in
1989, the Navy decided to change the CIWS 20mm round from DU to tungsten,
based on live fire tests showing that tungsten met their performance
requirements while offering reduced probabilities of radiation exposure and
environmental impact."

Russia claims to have a shaped charge warhead using DU as the liner, but the
US, is still investigating ( I suspect that the pyrophoric properties of DU
and the cost effectiveness of copper or copper / nickel would make it
questionable for it's use in this role, unless it has significantly superior
effects).

The Army also uses trace amounts as an epoxy catalyst.  DU is also used as
armor, on the M1-A1 and M1-A2, in which case a sheet of DU is sandwiched in
between conventional sheets of armor and the entire thing sealed with welds.
In cases were tanks ( with DU armor ) burned, no DU or DU Oxide escaped,
unless the armor was breached first,  I have not yet found any evidence that
this has happened, it has been one or the other.

Approximately 340 tons of DU ( not counting the pre-positioned Marine
supplies on ships, it is estimated that this portion comes out to less than
30 tons ), most of which was used by the Air Force with the 30 mm cannon on
the A-10 ( the total amount hear is unclear due to the fact that the DU
rounds were mixed with HEI rounds at a rate that varied between 6 DU - 1 HEI
and 4 DU - 1 HEI depending on the mission ).  Other nations in the coalition
forces, used DU, but less than the US.  It has been found that DU of the
smaller calibers ( 30 mm and less ) a lower percentage of DU Oxide is formed
upon hits, and in most cases the penetrator stayed in the armor if it hit
but did not punch through, and this limits the amount of DU Oxide.

The amount of DU Oxide produced is in direct correlation to the total amount
of Kinetic Energy expended on the target, a softer target has less energy
expended on it than a harder target, so less of the DU penetrator turned to
DU Oxide.  In many cases, if the DU penetrator hit a soft APC, only trace
amounts of DU Oxide were found, unless it hit a engine ( or other
significantly hard item ) in which case the amount's of DU Oxide were
higher.

DU is also used in numerous commercial applications:

ballast and counterweights;
balancing control devices on aircraft (civilian and military);
balancing and vibration damping on aircraft (civilian and military);
machinery ballast and counterweights;
gyrorotors and other electromechanical counterweights;
neutron detectors;
radiation detection and shielding for medicine and industry;
shipping container shielding for radiopharmaceuticals, radioisotopes, and
spent nuclear fuel rods;
chemical catalyst;
pigments;
x-ray tubes.

It seems that as long as it remains sealed, DU has broad and accepted range
of usage that is bound to grow as time grows by, and most people are not
going to worry about it.

With this in mind, I have to ask the question, are we going to see the day
when we are using DU battery packs?

Greg H.