>It seems to be part of a concerted and, as you say, efficient effort
>not just to steer more profit to the auto companies (and perhaps save
>them development costs), or not even primarily that, but to burn the
>maximum possible amount of fossil fuel to swell the coffers of the
>oil companies, and to hell with everything and everyone else.

This isn't precisely how I"d put it, but yes, I have a hypothesis here
along these lines.  I've had it for at least five years now, and I've
fought it, but it does seem to help explan things.  It is that when
I'm trying to understand why Detroit and perhaps some others won't
look into a certain type of fuel-conserving or alt-fuel technology, or
when they'll make a sham of looking into it and waste the time of
alt-fuel fans and their own engineers and managers for 10 or 20 years,
I have to remind myself that virtually every action they take
historically has been geared toward keeping us dependent on fossil
fuels.  Period.

There are other fuels.  One could synthesize fuel from air, water,
what-have-you.  One could make it from biomass.  One could make
electric fuel from all manner of sources.  But for decades now, no
consumer has been allowed to buy any mass-production
genuinely-widely-available vehicle in the U.S. that uses anything
other than fossil fuels.

The sole exception to this has been biofuels, and if I'm not mistaken
in reading this forum, there have been times when U.S. consumers have
been impeded in trying to get and use more biofuels and
biofuel-capable vehicles.  Only very slowly has this changed (been
allowed to change is how I sometimes see it).  Of course, any vehicle
can use some mixture of biofuel, but diesels can use biodiesel.  What
a surprise then how few of them there are for consumer purchase in the
States.  As to ethanol and mixtures of ethanol, we have seen some
progress, I guess.  But it has not been what it could have been.
There are a lot of E-85 capable vehicles out there, for example, but
up until recently not many E-85 dispensing points.  It's never been
the least bit surprising to me.  I see it as the Oil industry simply
not *allowing* it, for obvious competitive reasons.  Then you just
give up, which is the wrong reaction though, because in a better world
fuel dispensing and distribution could be more competitive across
different types of fuel.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/FGYolB/TM