Since we were talking about Ammonia, and another list we were talking about
a regenitive cooling method using Ammonia, I thought I would cross-post the
information in case anyone might want to look into it.

Now keep in mind that the information is not extensive, but, with what I
give you and some research into the CROSLEY Icy Ball, I did on the net, it
might put you on the right track.

"A test of Sodium Thiocyanate - Ammonia was made using a 20-lb. blackened
steel cylinder, containing 12-lbs of 50% / 50% by weight of  Sodium
Thiocyanate and  Ammonia.  An ordinary 4 - foot parabolic solar cooker was
focused on the cylinder, which was connected by a flexible pressure hose to
a smaller vessel immersed in water at room temp.  After heating for 4 hours,
most of the Ammonia had been driven into the smaller vessel.   The generator
was removed from the heat source, and the small vessel was placed overnight
in an insulated box containing water.   When removed from its heat source,
the Sodium Thiocyanate in the large cylinder cooled and re-absorbed the
Ammonia from the small vessel.  The evaporation of the liquid Ammonia cooled
the contents of the insulated box, and 9-lbs. of ice was produced. "

CROSLEY Icy Ball:

http://www.refresearch.com/m-icyball.html
http://www.ggw.org/~cac/IcyBall/crosley_icyball.html
http://www.ggw.org/~cac/IcyBall/HomeBuilt/HomeBuilt.html