On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 22:39:33 -0500, you wrote:

>Actually, I was just thinking, you could have every car required to be
>manufactured with a on-board, built in GPS.   Then have that GPS tracked
>from X month .... to the same registration month the next year.     Then
>have that file cross-referenced with the car's registration/ownership files.
>
>THERE ... car registration files ... with "how many miles it had traveled"
>tacked on the bottom.   Along with where the car went to ... which route it
>took ... etc.
>
>No odometer reading necessary.
>
>Curtis

An interesting thought.  I think there is a lot of argument from those concerned
with individual rights that private and governmental entitities should not have
the ability to track the exact whereabouts of one's vehicle or person.  As to a
vehicle, I would choose to make it trackable in an emergency, because it bothers
me that it could be stolen at any time.  Car theft is still a problem, though
arguably some progress against it has been made (I use one of those brake-lock
rods rather than the steering-wheel kit).

As to full-time tracking of exact location, I think it would run afoul of
concerns about privacy, even if the original intent was an understandable
attempt to make road taxation more fair.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM