Hi Ken

Thanks for this, very interesting.

>Hi Keith
>
>I talked to Iyan this morning and this is what he told
>me.  The fungus is called Trichoderma Reesei (QM9414).
> It first digests lignin then cellulose to glucose and
>will continue on to digest glucose once the cellulose
>is consumed.  The reaction is carried out at room
>temperature (in the tropics) in stirred aerated water.
> The maximum glucose yield of 17% by weight of dry
>rice straw is reached in about four days. A continues
>flow process is possible, but he only performed a
>batch process in the laboratory.  The work was
>published in the Indonesian language and a translation
>into English is not available.

Well, I've no right to say "That's a pity" (he said, saying it),
English is much too imperialistic...

Anyway that's probably enough to work on Ken, many thanks!

>Best regards,
>
>Ken

>Keith
>
>I forgot to add that the residual can be used for
>fertilizer.  Where I live, the wet paddy method of
>rice production is used and the rice straw is burned
>rather than “plowed” back into the paddy.

That's a waste, such useful stuff! And the soil needs some return.
Composting would be better. (Add 50% water hyacinth, for instance,
then there's no need for animal manure.)

Are you aware of this, by the way?
http://ciifad.cornell.edu/sri/
SRI Homepage/System of Rice Intensifcation

Well worth a look, or better than a look.

>The
>Trichoderma Reesei fungus should be killed or it may
>start attacking roots etc. Heating at 121 Celsius for
>30 minutes is enough to denature it (a microwave oven
>might work).  The minerals and fixed nitrogen remain
>in the residual.

Hot composting at 60 deg C for a couple of weeks should deal with it,
and give an improved product too.

Thanks again Ken.

Best

Keith

>Ken

>Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Hello
>Ken
>
><snip>
>
> >You can also look at fermentation to glucose and
> >ethanol.  My colleague, Dr. Iyan Sofyan, has used a
> >fungus to ferment rice straw to glucose.  And rice
> >straw is difficult because of its high lignin content
> >(like wood).
>
>I'd like to know more about that - any more detail
>available? Did Dr.
>Sofyan publish anything about it?
>
>regards
>
>Keith
>

> >Best regards and good luck,
> >
> >Ken

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low
prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM