murdoch wrote:

The wheels of justice grind very slowly as to these trade disputes.

> Has this finally been settled, or are there to be more chapters in the
> story?  Even if the U.S. has stonewalled things for years, hopefully a
> fair ruling can ultimately be enforced.

    In the meantime, the local industry has been decimated, families lose their
livelihoods and competition is stifled.  In
the meantime, producers in the U.S. benefit from unlimited access to the
American market preserved by the imposed trade
barrier, while their international competitors go out of business.  Then, we
hear American politicians talk about the
global benefits of "free trade"--it's sheer hypocrisy.

> But I think this is an example of a trade dispute that ultimately we
> will lose.  The protectionist Steel laws enacted by Bush when he first
> came in were, it seemed to me, different and more brazenly an open
> violation of WTO agreements.  So, I wonder when the
> years-long-processes are finished, if they will stand.

    Right now, the WTO has ruled against our country concerning softwood
lumber--yet the trade barriers remain.
Politicians in Canada hope to use the trade ruling to negotiate a settlement
with the United States.  But how can Canada
"force" the U. S. to live up to the terms it has previously agreed to uphold?
It's ludicrous to think that other nations
have any effective means of imposing their will to the same degree that is true
of the United States.

    Someone is probably thinking that I'm "bashing" my own country right now. .
.  We don't like to hear that our conduct
can be reprehensible.  We don't view ourselves as anything other than
benevolent.  We're very naive that way. . .

> Yes, I'd like to learn more, particularly if there are any disputes
> the U.S. has lost, and how the mechanics of this worked.

    This would be beneficial, I think.

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind