Keith Addison wrote:

> The time might not be too far off when you'd have to start including
> Japan in that countervailing force, which would make some really
> interesting differences. Japan is bound to become (is becoming) more
> assertive internationally, despite the storms of domestic angst thus
> caused. The sooner they develop a real foreign policy the better,
> IMO, and I don't even care much whether it's a "good" policy or not,
> just as long as it's there rather than not there, and truly
> independent rather than merely supportive or unsupportive - neither a
> poodle nor a bulldog but an akita. This policy vacuum in the world
> from one of the top three economic powers is bizarre, and distorts a
> great deal.
>
> regards
>
> Keith

    Perhaps your observations stem from the legacy of Douglas MacArthur, who
for all his faults probably did a more
brilliant job of transforming Japan into a peaceful, modern society than has
been duplicated elsewhere.  It seems that
in this process, the Japanese people have turned their attention inward.
However, isn't Japan a major contributor to
development among emerging nations?  Hasn't Japan been instrumental in helping
China deal with its quality control
issues?  (For instance, the new compact fluorescent bulbs coming out of China
are very well made!)  Your remarks seem
especially pertinent, given the economic power China has been flexing in recent
years.

    Japan, however, is even more dependent on fossil fuel imports than is the
United States.  I drive a truck that is,
except for its engine, a Mazda, and I'm very impressed with Japanese
engineering--the machine is extremely reliable.
Japanese creativity and engineering expertise can make an invaluable
contribution to dealing with the world's energy
issues.  Since the need for such problem solving is particularly acute in
Japan, I would anticipate some leadership
from that part of the world.  (Especially since so little seems to be happening
over here. . .)

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind