murdoch wrote:

> Yes, that's a good point.  I may bend over backwards to find examples
> where we lose ultimately, but we have been effectively getting favored
> treatment instead of fair treatment, and so in making so many
> allowances, I lose track of the damage.

    In the overwhelming wash of news we receive every day, it's easy to lose
perspective.  I think this is an important virtue
of maintaining a free press.  We, as citizens, have an obligation to remain
educated and explore issues with other
people--especially if our positions differ.

> In addition to your own etemological complaint as to the abuse of the
> phrase "free trade", I'd have to add that this particularly came up,
> to my ear, with Reagan, and that he hijacked the terms so that they
> weren't applied where I thought they were more applicable, which is
> domestically.  Thus, for example, I have always viewed the drug war
> (and other black market enforcements) as a pretext for the abrogation
> of the rights of domestic free trade.

    I'm not sure I'm following you on this.  I do not advocate trade in illicit
substances, and I don't think that's what you're
trying to communicate either.  Are you suggesting that Mr. Reagan used American
drug enforcement as a means to deprive certain
nations of their access to American markets?  Sorry, but I'm confused by your
statement.

> There have been times when I have thought that, as to international
> issues, the U.S. might have a legit complaint about free trade, but as
> you point out, there have also been times where it seems the U.S. just
> ignores, law, stonewalling everything.  But I can't help but think
> that with so much of our economy now inter-dependent with so many
> other countries, that there is leverage there for others.  Not the
> same trade dispute, but I think that if OPEC quietly allows oil to
> continue above $32 per gallon, this is a prime point of some aspect of
> leverage, though to what end I'm not sure.

    Interesting perspective. . .   Over on "sci.energy.hydrogen", a Canadian
gentleman named Graham Cowan contends that western
governments profit the most from oil and high prices because oil is a heavily
taxed commodity.  (He thinks this is the real
reason nuclear power has not taken off in North America to the same extent that
has been the case in France and Japan.)  Here's
a recent URL that he cited:

            http://www.opec.org/NewsInfo/WhoGetsWhat/2001.pdf

    So then, it's entirely possible that our support for oppressive regimes who
"tow the economic line" for us serve a dual
purpose.  On one hand, they keep the economy moving forward by maintaining
stable energy prices.  On the other hand, they also
serve as a vehicle to fill government coffers.  I'm somewhat skeptical of this
point of view, but it seems to underscore the
problem of seriously moving forward with ready to use technology, as is the
case with biofuels, because taxation becomes an
uncertain matter for bureaucrats who have grown dependent on the revenue.
Hence, the British government's crackdown on
biodiesel use in England makes perfect sense.

> Well, I don't know, you seem to have it in mind to see the U.S. behave
> honorably and fairly in important international legal matters, so I
> think I could see that as a patriotic desire.

    As a guest in someone else's country, it is my patriotic duty to hold my
government and its citizens to the highest level of
conduct in dealing with foreigners.  My vision for America and the reality of
America are often sharply contrasted in this
realm.

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind