Hello Jack

>Keith et. al.-
>I am using the single stage base process.  I make the fuel in
>roughly 150 gallon batches - totalling about 300 gallons a week
>right now.  What this will do for us is to allow us to pursue a
>Bahamas Development Bank grant to establish a locally owned and run
>biodiesel processing facility of roughly double the size in the
>nearby settlement.  I think we will plan on putting a business plan
>together for the Bank sometime in the next three months to help
>biofuels claim a good portion of the total diesel market on
>Eleuthera (It is quite small if you don't include the marinas - and
>the yacht owners are a tough crowd to crack).  I'll keep you posted.

Yes, please do.

>Regarding particular areas that I focused on - I would certainly say
>the wash.  I know people's opinions vary on this, but I cannot
>imagine not washing the fuel.  I wash three times always for about 2
>days each wash.  It takes a bit of time, but the air pump just runs
>off of a solar panel with a small battery bank - and I have the time
>to wait.  I also use 22% methanol - I haven't played around with
>this much, so I am not sure how that volume is affecting my fuel.

If it meets the standard then it's not affecting the fuel quality. I
usually use 22% with single-stage (depending on the oil). Are you
considering methanol recovery?

>I am very interested in finding out what sort of modification might
>need to be done to a jet or turbo prop engine to help it run on
>biodiesel.  I will look into the link you sent James, and if anyone
>else has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

This below is from the NBB's database - I can't find the full report.
It was presented at this conference though:
http://solstice.crest.org/discussion/bioconversion/199809/msg00002.html
Bioconversion Archive for September 1998

Best of luck with your endeavours Jack.

Rgds

Keith

Development of a Bio-Based Fuel for Turbine Engines

http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/reportsdatabase/reports/gen/1998100
1_gen-106.pdf

Title: Development of a Bio-Based Fuel for Turbine Engines
Author(s): Baylor University, Department of Aviation Sciences
Publication Date: Oct 1998

Center (RAFDC) has been involved for the last 18 years in the
research, development, and certification of bio-based fuels as
alternatives to the leaded gasoline used in general aviation's piston
engines aircraft. RAFDC is currently involved in the development of a
cleaner-burning alternative to today's turbine fuel used by
commercial and military aircraft.

Previous studies conducted at another institute on a ground test
stand facility, have shown that a 10 to 20% blend of biodiesel in jet
fuel can considerably reduce particulate emissions. The RAFDC program
is testing blends of jet fuel with substantial percentages of
bio-derived fuels to determine their performance and emissions.
RAFDC's instrumented air pollution monitoring aircraft, a Beachcraft
King Air, used to monitor air pollution, will be the flying test bed
for the most suitable blend. After extensive ground tests, one of the
two engines in this aircraft will be fueled by a blend of jet fuel
with biodiesel and/or ETBE. At the conclusion of this phase,
certification of the most suitable blend will be sought.
Additionally, a nation-wide educational program will be promoted
through the Baylow University/International Center for Aviation and
the Environment's Clean Airports Program.

Two major critical issues have prompted the development of such a
program: local pollution at airports and the global environmental
impact on climate change due to aircraft pollution. The American Lung
Association is estimating that 64,000 premature deaths in the United
States of America are due to particulate air pollution. Worldwide,
there is a growing realization of the need to develop a clean burning
alterantive to today's turbine fuels because of the effects that
airliners are having on the relatively fragile atmospheric layers in
which they operate. Particulate emissions from turbine engines have
become a primary concern, especially in the tropopause where a large
percentage of the airline traffic occurs, because of the atmosphere's
sensitivity to pollution at these altitudes. The turbine engine fleet
in the United States consumes approximately 16.2 billion gallons of
aviation kerosene per year. If renewable, domestically produced fuels
were blended into turbine fuel at a 20% level, the US would reduce
its oil imports by 3.24 billion gallons a year. In addition to
reducing our national trade deficit, this also would provide a large
stimulus to US agricultural and domestic biomass fuel producers,
creating new businesses and industries.

Market Segment: General Interest

Accessibility: Public

Files Available: this report is not available at this time

>CHeers,
>Jack
>
>James Slayden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Capstone power generation turbines can run on biodiesel, so I assume that
>the mod for jet engines wouldn't be that difficult.
>
>http://www.microturbine.com/technology/specsheets.asp
>
>James Slayden
>

>On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Keith Addison wrote:
>
> > That's GREAT news!!!
> >
> > Well done! Multiple :-) 's!
> >
> > Jack, remind me please - which process are you using? And what are
> > your plans now you've "made the grade"?
> >
> > Jet engines... rings a vague bell, but I don't know. Interesting.
> >
> > All best
> >
> > Keith
> >

> > >Hey All - just thought I would let you all know that I just received
> > >my results from the ASTM tests and we passed all categories.  Just
> > >another good example of a homebrewer in a remote setting (Bahamas)
> > >making spec-grade biofuel!
> > >
> > >One other question:  has anyone ever done any testing for using
> > >biodiesel in a jet engine?  Jet fuel is so close to diesel fuel, I
> > >was wondering if anyone had done the research.
> > >
> > >Thanks.
> > >Jack
> > >Jack Kenworthy
> > >Sustainable Systems Director