Alan Petrillo wrote:
> Do you do this by varying your input voltage/current, or by
> attaching a big heat sink?

I do not need to alter voltage or current, the elements I use are
1800W but are over 2 metres in length and approx 1 cm wide. this makes
for an energy density of 1800 / (200 * 1 * 3.14) which is less than
3w/sq cm. Todd is also on the mark, my tank is insulated and has a
bolt on lid with a seal. A waste of energy otherwise, th only downside
is the bottom is not yet insulated and causes interesting
stratification of thermal layers, pumping fixes / mixes this.

> One of the thoughts I've had was to make something like an electric
> frying pan.  What you have with and electric frying pan is basically
> 110v 1500W heating element which has been fused into a BIG heat
sink.
> I'm not real sure what you'd do about electrical connections, but
it'd
> be interesting to try.

Again heat density is an issue, as well as the electrical connections
as you pointed out.

> Ah.  Most of the water heater elements I see over here are elongated
> shapes.  I suppose for that you'd take the diameter of the element
and
> the total length of the element rather than the length of the bent
> shape.  It would be twice the length of the bent shape plus half a
> circle the radius of the width of the U.  Do I have that right?

Yes you are right, my elements are doubled over yet again so a 50 cm
element has 4 lengths and three curves!

> It depends.  Most of the ones I see around here, particularly if
they're
> 110v are 1500W.  The 220v ones are usually around 2000W, with a few
as
> high as 3000W.

In this case wire two elements in series and cut their output by a
quarter. This is a very good option and is the simplest and cheapest
way to go. So and 1800W element now puts out 450W, two give 900W which
is much more useable and safer (oil wise) as it heats slower. The 220V
2000W elements on 110 V output approx 1000W, put two of these in
series and get 500W

> Isn't that what this exercise is all about?  Have fun, and be good
for the environment while doing it.

Absolutely!
MP

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511