In a message dated 8/26/03 2:39:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Bob Allen wrote:
>
> >Just curious, what will you be measuring by IR spectroscopy?  I ran
> >virgin vegetable oil, pure FAME, and used vegetable oil and they are
> >essentially indistinguishable.
>
> A chemist, who quotes Frank Zappa to boot! Welcome! :-) And all this
> time I thought it was excentrifugal forz. Tut.
>
> Anyway, do you know about all this?

Measurement of normalized peak heights with comparison between standard and
sample addresses your point.  Vegetable oil thet has been hydrogenated or
oxidized will have a different spectrogaphic profile than "virgin" -- as you
put it
-- vegetable oil.   This isn't rocket science here, folks.  Well, on second
thought, maybe it is.  At any rate, I cut my teeth, so to speak, on IR
spectroscopy of Green River Oil Shale while getting my MSChE.  I've been using
IR
throughout my career and love it as an analytical tool.  Perhaps some component
separation would be necessary, first.  If so, TLC (no, not "tender, loving,
care," but Thin Layer Chromatography)  probably would be the means of choice.

Anyhow, don't look a gift horse in the mouth, Bob!  I'm going to analyze the
stuff for J.D. gratis, for zero, ziltch.  (Hey, if it helps eliminate fossil
fuel powered vehicles, I'm in favor of it.)

-- Jay

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/FGYolB/TM