Hello Kieth and Jay et al.   First an introduction:  I am an organic
chemist with a long time interest in environmental issues, particularly
resource conservation.  In the past I have organized and operated a
community recycling center, served on the Arkansas State Alternative
fuels commission, and generally "beat the drum" in any venue available
to me.  A few years ago I began very small scale production of biodiesel
as a demonstration in my organic labs (about 20 ml at a time- ironically
the demonstration was to show large scale production relative to the
amounts of stuff my students usually handle.)

  Somewhere along the way I thought I should "walk the talk", so last
spring I bought a 81 MB 300SD This summer I made a few one gallon
batches from virgin oil, and am currently operating on the same scale
with used fry oil from the food service here on campus- about 140
gallons a week available for the taking.

One interest in particular is the issue of waste disposal/utilization,
the strongly alkaline glycerol remainder in particular.  What do both
small and large producers do?  I guess large producers can give/sell the
stuff off but I can't imagine much of a market for a gallon or two at a
time.  So here is my idea- more fuel.

One ought to be able to react the "left overs" with dimethyl sulfate or
maybe a methyl halide to form a product- 1,2,3-trimethoxy propane which
ought to serve as an oxygenated gasoline additive.  Lots of ought to's
and maybes, but hey its research.

boy, this is a busy list...

later.

Bob Allen, Professor of Chemistry        http://ozarker.org/bob
"Some scientists claim that Hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is
the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there
is more stupidity than Hydrogen, and that is the basic building block
of the universe." - Frank Zappa

---

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/FGYolB/TM