Hi Thor:

I suspect because it was not heated, as far as I can determine. Thicker
oil, poor atomization, less complete combustion....higher emissions.
Like all emission studies, there are a lot of variables, and some are
discussed in the report (engine type, test cycle used, etc.). Even
something as simple as the order in which you test the fuels might
affect outcome. For example, start with a "clean" engine, do the diesel
tests first, then the biodiesel, then the rapeseed, then rapeseed,
biodiesel, diesel (if running just two runs per fuel, for example). You
will likely get somewhat different results than in some other order, if
the test cycles go long enough that the unheated oil can produce some
coking....and so on...everyone tries to do good emission tests, but
there are quite a few variables to deal with.

You see in the report, for example, that the authors were quite
surprised to find reduced PAH emissions, by a wide margin, for some
situations, when the prior literature suggested they would get a large
increase instead. So, that was a good finding.

Then we get into  further discussions of course, such as the fact that
a slight timing change can give different results, maybe better for
some and worse for others.

An obvious but interesting finding (as a reminder) is how emissions
decrease nicely on steady-state tests. Which only goes to show that
good driver habits can have much to do with emission reductions - maybe
more than a particular fuel!
(It would be nice to know the correlation between a driver's decision
to use a fuel such as SVO and tendency toward also keeping tires
inflated, oil changed, keeping the foot off the fuel (except during
"tuneups"), and choosing a more fuel efficient vehicle to minimize the
need to hunt-and-gather some fuel!

  It also points to the desirability to run a diesel ..well, any engine
on any fuel, actually, at a steady state if possible for most of the
time...and use more and closer gearing, CVT's, and finally
diesel-electric hybrids.

Finally, we can also keep in mind that an engine on SVO, since there is
no sulfur in the fuel, is an ideal and easy candidate for fitting of
further emission controls - catalytic converters and particulate
traps...if we choose. Those won't be ruined and/or plugged up,
respectively, like they would by use of high sulfur/higher soot fuel
such as fossil diesel in most of USA and Canada at this time at least.

Note that while things like acrolein can increase, the authors note
that this is not such a cause for concern, in terms of health risk
(since it is not persistent, and breaks down very rapidly in the
atmosphere, and since the dose would be minimal over time) but might be
actually more of a concern in terms of smog formation, but again,
that's a result of interactions among a whole host of tailpipe and
industrial emissions, VOC's HC, on and on, to form ground level ozone.

This is just a quick look at the study, not a proper analysis of it,
that's not my intention here, but I'm writing just to give some
indication of what I see in it from a quick read.

Thanks

Edward Beggs