Hi Tony

>Keith,
>It is good to see someone else using the glycerol/sawdust 1 litre fire logs
>I told you about some time ago.

Not just me, quite a few people I think - Peter in Holland too, I
believe he said (in a woodburning stove).

I usually credit you when I suggest it here. And here, of course:
Burning glycerine
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_glycerin.html#burn

I got the idea of burning it with sawdust from the STOVES list at
REPP discussing briquetting sawdust and using a binder, then you
finished the job by putting it in milk cartons. Only remaining
problem is it works too well - we don't use very much glyc this way,
not as much as we produce. But we use it for other things too, we're
not quite among the "glycerine-bedraggled", as Todd once put it.

>How moist are you making the mix?

We try to compress it a lot, fill up the cartons in 4 or 5 steps and
thump it down each time with a bit of wood that just fits the carton.
We get about 750 g of glyc by-product and 450 g of shavings into a
carton. We use shavings, not sawdust (we separate the sawdust and use
it in the composting toilet). We don't use them immediately - they
seem to work better after a few days and don't leak in the fire much,
or at all, the by-product gets thoroughly absorbed into the shavings
and seems to stay there. Otherwise we had free by-product running out
of the burning cartons and making a bit of a mess, not all of it
subsequently burned. We start it off with wood and get it burning hot
first, and even though they were leaking onto burning wood it still
made a mess.

>I have tried a full range of mixes, but
>they all work well

Yes!

>although the wetter ones tend to "weep" thru the carton,
>making storage a problem.  The waxy coating also gets on my hands along with
>the coloured inks used to print the cartons. (these were filled during our
>last summer).

Hm, haven't had that - would you like me to send you a container-load
of high-quality Japanese milk cartons? At only twice our normal
fee... <g>

Regards

Keith

>regards,
>Tony Clark
>
>Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 05:47:15 +0900
>   From: Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: WVO burners...
>
>Hi Mike
>
> >Thanks Keith,
> >
> >I must say I am honored to hear from you, as I have always been a silent
> >admirer of your work.
>SNIP
> We also have a more or less endless
>supply of offcut wood, and shavings which we mix with biodiesel
>by-product and cram it into 1-litre milk cartons. They burn really
>hot - three of them will heat an 80-litre bathtub to 60 deg C-plus in
>40 minutes. They'd work well in those double-walled water heaters. So
>would the wood, and so would a Turk burner I think.
>SNIP
>Best wishes
>
>Keith

Special Sale: 50% off ReplayTV