Keith Addison wrote:
>>Hi
>>Don't know if its relevant, but I recently  (last week)  made the switch
>>over to Linux, and I haven't been bothered with unwanted virues, etc.
>>nor have I received any of this "deluge".
>>
>>Edan
>

> Hi Edan
>
> Not directly relevant, but a good idea anyway it seems, if you're a
> Windoze user. This deluge isn't like a virus, it's a misconfigured
> ISP (or maybe misbegotten might be a better word). Whether you
> receive it or not doesn't have anything to do with the operating
> system you're using. I got more than 300 of the things, and I use a
> Macintosh, no viruses. (I think the reason I got so many is that I'm
> registered as the list-owner, and the owner's address is in the mail
> headers - [EMAIL PROTECTED]) Perhaps it has more to do
> with how much you've been posting. Not sure about that. Anyway, glad
> you've not been bothered, and good luck with Linux.

No, Keith, it's worse than that.

This guy's POP server has been sending back error messages directly to
the sender of the posted email, in addition to the list.

I'd be willing to bet that in addition to this little misconfiguration
on the POP side of the house the SMTP side of the house is an open
relay.  If so then our hero's ISP definitely deserves to fall into the
great black hole, because spammers seem to be able to smell out open
relays and use them to cast spam all over the net.

AP

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511