Ken Provost said:

> You still haven't been to the JtoF site, have you?

Quite to the contrary, I've read through the BD info there twice.
this does not mean that I have a full comprehension of it.

> The problem is, due to the increased soap formation and
> the increased solubility of glycerol, you never get
> separation. You get a single clear phase with everything
> in it (well, maybe only 50% of the biodiesel) which
> nobody but Oil Can Harry down under is willing to put
> in their car :-)

I suggest that the increased soap formation is due to the fact that
the NaOH or KOH not forming Na/K Ethoxide.  It is instead
saponifying the WVO and leaving you with a mix of soap, glycerine
ethanol, water and probably unreacted WVO, as well as other stuff.

Show me how NaOH or KOH can be used to make Na/K Ethoxide.  The work
shown at JtoF only shows that ethanol is not a drop in replacement
for methanol, using NaOH or KOH.  ADent gave a reason for this and
a suggested work around.

> That's still WAY cool! Why make a "professional" call at
> all, when you can IRC it and have a permanent record?
> Still you have to be able to type fast, which my daughter
> does nicely but I never have.    -K

Yes, it is cool, and I didn't type fast untill I started hanging out on
IRC.  Now I type about 60wpm.  Before I did well to make 35wpm.

Dan
--
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Fiber Artist - Genealogist - Kilt Maker - Linux Geek - Piper - Woodworker

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511