>Lagonisa,
>
> > The problem is
> > that I have also read that due to the reversibility of the reaction,
>
>The reaction is not exactly reversible. "Reversability" would require the
>three glycerides and the glycerol recombining. That doesn't happen. Once the
>glycerol is cleaved it is out of the picture.
>
>You're suggesting MeOH recovery at the point where the reaction is complete
>and the glycerol has yet to settle out. However, that's not altogether
>adisable due to the continual mixing of excess catalyst with the methyl
>ester.
>
>If you reduce the volume of alcohol via evaporation at this point there
>would be a propensity for some of the ester to fracture ("back crack") into
>FFAs and then convert to soap. Mind you that "back cracking" can only occur
>up to the point that all the catalyst is consumed in soap making.
>
>If you can monitor the reaction and insure that the balance of catalyst is
>infintesimally small beyond what is required to guarantee 100% completion,
>erego yielding but a small and controlled amount of extra soap production,
>then there might be some merit in extracting the alcohol prior to the
>glycerin cocktail settling.
>
>Otherwise? Probably none.
>
>Todd Swearingen

Hi Todd

Yet that's what Dale Scroggins does, apparently with good results.
The touchless processor
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor.html#touchfree

http://home.swbell.net/scrof/Biod_Proc.html

Michael Allen and Gumpon Prateepchaikul's set-up at Prince of Songkla
University in Thailand also reclaims the methanol at the end of the
processing stage, though differently, and with high efficiency and a
high-quality product (they test it).

I wonder if this isn't somewhat theoretical, as with the idea that
using acid in the wash will definitely backsplit biodiesel to FFAs
and must definitely be avoided. If properly done - which of course
shouldn't be merely so solve an emulsion problem (improve the
process!) - it has the advantage of thoroughly neutralizing the
catalyst, at the cost of traces of FFA which remain well within the
standard specs.

So here the same perhaps applies, as you indicate - a well-controlled
process with the right amount of catalyst and the right amount of
everything else too.

Needs and economics will differ from case to case, and I think
methanol recovery should be an option at each of the three possible
stages it can be done - straight after processing, using the existing
heat (to start with), recovering excess methanol from both the ester
and the by-product; recovering the excess methanol from the
by-product cocktail (that is most of it), which leaves the balance to
be accounted for (in the first wash water); recovering the excess
methanol from the glycerine itself after separating the by-product
components (which still leaves the balance in the first wash water).

Best

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511