You still weren't listening to what I said (in your hurry to disprove
it because I mentioned the awful, terrible name of 'infopop
biodiesel forum'. I don' t always agree with what  Neutral reports
(or anyone else on any forum for that matter, you, me, ken,keith,
whomever, we all get confused by things and we all have
agendas to prove or disprove a favorite technique) - but he's not
the only place I mentioned this reverse reaction info comes from.

(and you ignored the patents part. Over on infopop 'they're' not
exactly yakking it up about this issue - yes, it s not common, nor
are the agitated conditions for it to occur common, so it's not
surprising that you and I haven't seen it ourselves.  If you'd like
more information from actual real people who've worked on this
problem rather than me relating to you some internet anecdote
that hasn't happened to me personally, please call Jon Van
Gerpen at Iowa State University- he's been recently investigating
this exact reverse reaction phenomenon in regards to methanol
recovery prior to separation in continuous process plants (and
no it;'s not a common problem, and yes, their school has a GC
so theres little guesswork involved in the research). His phone
number is all over the www.me.iastate.edu/biodiesel webpage.
Really! you can do it).

now back to homebrewing:

I explained quite clearly that my cloudiness (and wash problem)
was due to glycerine suspended which hadn't previously been
happening, which I assume has something to do with not
evaporating any methanol off, like my not-quite-sealed unit may
have been doing. Not rocket science. Im actually curious if
anyone ever gets perfectly clear unwashed fuel with just a couple
of days of settling in a sealed processor, or if that clarity is just a
relic of open-top units. The processor in question has a
biodiesel drain that uses a standpipe , and I drain out the little bit
of glycerol that collects in the standpipe first, so there's not an
issue of contamination by bottom-draining (I think Todd's been
rightly worried about this potential problem before).

ANyway the whole issue for me is that separation is sometimes
a problem even for homebrewers (the industry literature is full of
anxiety about good separation, which homebrewers don't worry
about, because time does the trick for us since we don't have to
worry about fast throughput). and of course methanol recovery
would help that.

I also think based on my experience with heated washing that
you're just being stubborn and are knocking it from the safety of
your own armchair.
  If you had tried it, you'd see that no, biodiesel and water, oil and
water, whatever your'e washing, all separate much quicker with a
heated wash, and you just about can't get emulsion with a
heated bubblewash.  Come on, you can try it- even before
furiously writing anything- just go to the lab, pick up a sample of
unwashed fuel, and do a wash test on it, heated (put the jar into
a water bath with a lid on the jar so the methanol doesn't
evaporate) against a cold control of the same exact fuel. It'll
make a difference, I promise you.

Now the issue is not whether it's worth the BTU''s- that's not what
you said- you were just promising that it'd cause worse
emulsion problems and I can basically promise anybody that it's
going to be the opposite- based on experience in my case.

By the way I had a weird accident this summer where I
accidentaly left some bubblewashing fuel on a timer with the
heat also on a timer for a week. It wasn't great fuel and it was on
it's first wash- prime candidate for emulsification due to
overagitation. The heat timer would go on every day and a couple
of hours later the bubbler would kick on bubbling for a couple of
hours. The temperature was probably 110F by the time the
bubbling started.
Now this was a terrible waste of heat and electricity!!! and was
an accident- but it had an interesting result. The fuel not only
didn't emulsify, but it was 'done washing' at the end of the week,
with no wash water changes (that's a pretty good balance of
biodiesel to water). What I was using as a criteria for 'done
washing' was the fact that it cleared it's water haze at room
temperature within a few hours of being turned off ( I check for
water haze by cooling a sample in the freezer in the summer).

Mark

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "Appal Energy"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Maria,
>
> Pumps tend to aereate when the return is not below the fluid
line.
> Splashing, agitation, aereation....almost all the same kettle of
phish.

> Still, it shouldn't matter one whit when it comes to clarity, as
even the
> most micro of bubbles should come out of solution rather
quickly.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511