Hi Hakan,

Impressive discussion you have.  There is one thing I have run across in the
past that may not fall within the scope of "first aid," but I wanted to get
your comment.

This has to do with maintenance of metal roofs, specifically spraying a thick
layer of polyurethane, covered with acrylic, to provide both a seal of the
leaking roof surface and thermal insulation.  This is a service being provided
by at least one company, but I wonder how satisfactory this is.

I have a number of buildings with metal roofs, at least one having reached
the point that paint will no longer hold.  A roofer in whom I have confidence
tells me that the only solution now is tear off and replacement, which I want
avoid, not only because it is costly but also because it would diminish the
historical value of a building that is several hundred years old.  (Incidently,
I have another problem with this building in that it is built of adobe brick,
8-in through the wall, no interior insulation, and needs to be kept
continuously painted to keep the adobe from disintegrating.   But vapor from
the house
interior freezes between the paint surface and the brick, continuously flaking
off pieces of the brick.)

This roofer advises me that polyurethane on the roof will not work.  Much of
his work, he says, is in tear offs of houses that have been similarly
maintained.

Your presentation, it seems to me, would accomplish a valuable service by
addressing the problem of what to do with metal roofs that have reached the end
of their effective lives.  What to do?  Tear off and reroof, or cover with
polyurethane/acrylic finish?  Or what?

Glenn Ellis

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511