On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:53:45 +0100, you wrote:

>MM,
>
>A very good idea, let a computer do what people did in ancient times, but
>forgot now. It would actually give quite good energy savings. We could even
>let it utilize the mass storage of the home, instead of what most systems
>do today, fight it. The Californian type of energy crises could be much
>less, if this was applied. The stage of todays control systems is sad.
>
>Hakan

I was thinking, in addition to this, that there are multiple aspects
of home-energy-use that would benefit from some in-built ability of
the house to detect time-of-day and conditions and adjust accordingly.
This could include not only shades, blinds and shutters, but also such
boring-sounding issues as shutting on-and-off night-time outdoor
lights.  Someday I also think that, in certain climates, maybe a
refrigerator could be moveable so that it could source cool air and
vent heat to the outside or the inside depending on outdoor conditions
and desired indoor conditions.

We are discussing not only retrofitting with individual devices, but
recommended thinking for the future, for individual home-builders and
developers of communities.

Sometimes you and I and others may be met with the thinking "ah, but
it's not wanted, it's not presently the cheapest way and the
developers don't give a damn.... and this is often (not always, but
often) attached to the extremely petty attack ....no one will ever
want it... it's uneconomical now and who cares because it never can be
in the near future,... you are just some economically unrealistic
idealist",

...but that can all change in an economic heartbeat, as yesterday's
"wacky green thinking" becomes tomorrow's desireable homebuilding
procedures... and after the next time that,
gosh-gee-whillackers-batman, the price of natural gas triples along
with the price of electricity, in some area.

We are already seeing signs in some ways that consumers, in America
and elsewhere, are more impressed with the "green" "wacky" thinking of
Organic and sustainable food-raising, that they see some logic in it
and they are seeing some more reasonable prices.  [I keep thinking
that keeping some rules-of-Kosher has been a practice of some for so
long... in many different religions... many thousands of years....so
keeping to some sustainable practices in raising and delivering and
storing and eating food is not a new or wacky concept, at all, in any
way.]

So, the old petty attacks which marginalized advocates of
sustainability are no longer as powerful, and the attackers may find
their voices dropping as they wish to hide how irrational and petty
they once were.

Likewise, with innovative home-energy-saving thinking such as you are
collecting on your website, we will at some point see some of these
ideas become mainstream.  It will take a combination of
good-old-fashioned-price-problems and some other factors such as
homebuilders gradually seeing green homes as fetching desireable
prices.  By keeping an informative web-page up and running, over time,
some of them will get ideas from you.  You never know where or when it
will happen that you affect someone's thinking.

MM

Send the freshest Valentine's flowers with a FREE vase from only $29.99!
Shipped direct from the grower with a 7 day freshness guarantee and prices so
low you save 30-55% off retail!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_iAw9B/xdlHAA/3jkFAA/FGYolB/TM