Glenn,

My experiences are in energy transmission and acoustics, not exactly
roofing and . I have some general experiences from my own houses.

If your house is several hundreds of years, it could be a copper roofing
and to maintain the character is difficult with modern fixes. If it is not
copper and worth while to spend money on, maybe your roofers advices is the
best.

I take the adobe surface problem first, are you sure that you used suitable
paint for it. To me it sounds like the paint seals up at the surface and
this would then be an expected problem. The choice of paint is very
critical and it must allow the humidity to pass through, any collection of
water on the back side of the paint will give you the problems you
describe. Many historical buildings have been destroyed by modern paints
and other techniques. I had a 350 year old farmhouse in Sweden and
restoring that meant a lot of study in old building techniques and
understanding of how and why they were done that way. To understand old
traditional buildings is not always easy, but most of the techniques have a
rational explanation. I saw a lot of failed renovations and almost all of
them was because of sealing the construction too much, but not totally,
with modern materials and especially unsuitable paint.

Hakan

At 20:06 21/01/2004, you wrote:
>Hi Hakan,
>
>Impressive discussion you have.  There is one thing I have run across in the
>past that may not fall within the scope of "first aid," but I wanted to get
>your comment.
>

>This has to do with maintenance of metal roofs, specifically spraying a thick
>layer of polyurethane, covered with acrylic, to provide both a seal of the
>leaking roof surface and thermal insulation.  This is a service being
>provided
>by at least one company, but I wonder how satisfactory this is.
>
>I have a number of buildings with metal roofs, at least one having reached
>the point that paint will no longer hold.  A roofer in whom I have confidence
>tells me that the only solution now is tear off and replacement, which I
>want to
>avoid, not only because it is costly but also because it would diminish the
>historical value of a building that is several hundred years
>old.  (Incidently,
>I have another problem with this building in that it is built of adobe brick,
>8-in through the wall, no interior insulation, and needs to be kept
>continuously painted to keep the adobe from disintegrating.   But vapor
>from the house
>interior freezes between the paint surface and the brick, continuously
>flaking
>off pieces of the brick.)
>
>This roofer advises me that polyurethane on the roof will not work.  Much of
>his work, he says, is in tear offs of houses that have been similarly
>maintained.
>
>Your presentation, it seems to me, would accomplish a valuable service by
>addressing the problem of what to do with metal roofs that have reached
>the end
>of their effective lives.  What to do?  Tear off and reroof, or cover with
>polyurethane/acrylic finish?  Or what?
>
>Glenn Ellis

To visit your group on the web, go to: