>On Thursday, February 19, 2004, at 01:15 PM, the_maniacal_engineer
>wrote:
>
> > When I first heard this it was about osama bin laden - a man who wants
> > to forcibly impose sharia law on the entire world. under sharia law
> > (at least the extreme version that osama holds) jews and christians
> > must pay an extra tax. pagans and aetheists must convert or be
> > executed.
> >
> > I later heard this joke told about saddam hussein. he and his sons
> > killed millions of people in their reign of iraq, including the
> > enlightened practice of having men hired to 'deprive women of their
> > virtue' as a political reprisal against their family (ie these men
> > were professional, government supported rapists) and the even more
> > enlightened practice of droppping live enemies into a chipper.  If
> > Iraqi's continue to die at the current rate they are still thousands
> > of people per year ahead of the death rate attribuatble to saddam.
> >
> > Now I see this story about GWB who caused countless americans to
> > die... well not countless... OK so about 500... but 500 is alot..
> > anyway he did it so that we could get the oil for free ... except ....
> > we buy it at market rates.... but it makes halliburton rich.... except
> > that they are being watched like a hawk and had to return 60million in
> > overcharges... but he sure is as bad as saddam.   Just look at all of
> > the professional rapists on the DOJ payroll....... OK well, look at
> > how GWB is trampling the rule of law by imposing religious rules in
> > alabama courthouses.... oh wait they had to take that out.  But the
> > evil right wing reactionary conspiracy has thwarted the rule of the
> > people by issuing fraudulent marriage licenses in violation of the
> > california state con...sti..tution... no wait - that was gay activist
> > mayor/judges..
> >

>Did they really kill millions?

Nope. The US- and UK-backed sanctions against Iraq killed at least
half a million children though, as intended.

"In 1998, the UN carried out a nationwide survey of health and
nutrition. It found that mortality rates among children under five in
central and southern Iraq had doubled from the previous decade. That
would suggest 500,000 excess deaths of children by 1998. Excess
deaths of children continue at the rate of 5,000 a month. UNICEF
estimated in 2002 that 70 percent of child deaths in Iraq result from
diarrhea and acute respiratory infections. This is the result-as
foretold accurately by U.S. intelligence in 1991-of the breakdown of
systems to provide clean water, sanitation, and electrical power.
Adults, too, particularly the elderly and other vulnerable sections,
have succumbed. The overall toll, of all ages, was put at 1.2 million
in a 1997 UNICEF report.

"The evidence of the effect of the sanctions came from the most
authoritative sources. Denis Halliday, UN humanitarian coordinator in
Iraq from 1997 to 1998, resigned in protest against the operation of
the sanctions, which he termed deliberate "genocide." He was replaced
by Hans von Sponeck, who resigned in 2000, on the same grounds. Jutta
Burghardt, director of the UN World Food Program operation in Iraq,
also resigned, saying, "I fully support what Mr. von Sponeck was
saying."

"There is no room for doubt that genocide was conscious U.S. policy.
On May 12, 1996, U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright was asked
by Lesley Stahl of CBS television: "We have heard that half a million
children have died. I mean, that's more than died in Hiroshima. And,
you know, is the price worth it?" Albright replied: "I think this is
a very hard choice, but the price, we think the price is worth it.""

-- From: Behind the War on Iraq
by the Research Unit for Political Economy
Monthly Review May 2003
Research Unit for Political Economy is based in Mumbai, India. The
group publishes the journal Aspects of India's Economy and a range of
research publications in English and Hindi.
http://www.monthlyreview.org/0503rupe.htm

I suggest you read the whole report, it will certainly give you a
very much clearer and less muddied picture than Chris Stratford has
managed to do.

Read this one too while you're at it:

http://www.scn.org/ccpi/HarpersJoyGordonNov02.html
Cool War: Economic sanctions as a weapon of mass destruction
By Joy Gordon
Harper's Magazine
November 2002

Plenty more, but those should do for a start.

>I hadn't thought of it that way before.

Well don't start now!

Best

Keith