Hi Jamie, welcome

>hello all
>I am starting to produce 50 gal batches and
>
>i need some advice on some things...
>
>1-bulk wvo storage,  should I have an element heater in a large tank,
>or have a large storage tank and then a drum to preheat oil before
>batch process

The second option would be cheaper, dunno how big the large storage
tank would be but it would need a powerful element or a lot of time,
and you'd have to do it each time you wanted to do a batch.

Another thing to consider is whether you'll have to dewater the WVO
or not, if it needs dewatering (heat the 60 deg C, settle) best do it
all at once, which would be in the large tank I suppose.

Re heating elements, Matt Pozzi gave us this useful number a while back:

"... make a rough extimate of the elements area of contact with the
oil (length*pi*radius squared) and make sure the output will be
around or less than 3W/sq cm, this will ensure no burning of the oil
whilst heating. Elsewise you will need to stir while heating."

>2-What sort of rigs are people using for collection, other than the
>12 v pump into a drum or tank?

A good hand-pump in one case (from a 55-gal drum), other two cases it
comes in the 18-litre cans the oil was supplied in. We were thinking
of building a chicken-house with empty cans...

>3-It is my impression from a few sources that the nbb is anti-small
>producer and doesn't make it easy to certify fuel to sell,  so can we
>get around this legality by forming and selling to co-op members?
>I'm sure this has been done by some groups i'm just ignorant.
>
>4-I wanted to use the turk burner to heat up my leftover glycerine.
>Is this dangerous to do?

Why do you want to heat up the leftover glycerine? To recover
methanol? Open flames and methanol don't mix well, or rather they do
mix, very well! Okay, the vessel would be closed, like a pot still,
and should be able to take some pressure, but you've still got
methanol coming out of the condenser, so that end of it would have to
be reliably fume-free as well. I've thought about it but I don't like
it, I heat it with an electric element, and ponder the relative
cost-savings while I'm at it, as such, if any. But I don't do it
often, for most of the things we use the by-product for we'd rather
have the methanol still in there. We do use a turk-type burner for
pre-heating the oil though.

>5-when adding salt to break emulstion,  should we be going kosher
>here or is your regular unblessed table salt a ok. and how much per
>liter of emulshit-fication.

Just as long as it's sodium chloride I guess. I've only done that
once, when a different kind of process didn't work very well. I
dissolved the salt (just table salt - which is not something we'd
have on our table, sea salt or rock salt only thankyou) in hot water,
strong solution, kept adding small amounts while bubbling until the
emulsion broke. That was a one-litre test batch. Better to avoid
emulsions.

>6-what are the chances of president bush spontaneously combusting
>from an overload of fear and repression?

:-) That's not very nice. Anyway it wouldn't work, I think fear and
repression are things he spreads rather than suffers from. I have
heard of galactic amounts of premium-grade hubris sparking such a
nemesis however, so perhaps there's hope. Hm, that's not very nice
either.

Best

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511