Hi MM

Well, just briefly, what he said was this:

>As far as the other part is concerned.  There is no dilemma. You are
>there to record history. not be a part of it or change it.
>I've gotten in trouble for this a few times myself.

So it seems like he's a member of the profession, yet he's still
promoting this specious cop-out view - "gotten in trouble"? You have
to make your decisions and stand your ground, fight for it if you
have to, and if they show you the door, you walk - not just avoid
getting into trouble. That exactly is the trouble - the whole thing
is polluted by blame-avoidance.

>My thoughts are to what you were saying:
>
>In addition to what you've said, there is another way to see this:
>turn it around and try projecting a story where one makes absolutely
>no decisions, has no input, basically does nothing.  I don't think
>it's really possible.

But that's the pretence - journalist-as-pipe. How it so often works
out is that such journalists may talk about their "sources", but to
those sources these journalists are resources, used for purposes and
ends that can be very contrary to the role of the fourth estate.

>Story choice (what is a story, what is
>newsworthy, what's crap) is perhaps the most important thing of all,
>and perhaps the first thing before anything else, and how do you do a
>story without choosing what the story is?
>
>But beyond this, I think there's a trend in philosophy and
>intellectualism and policy-criticism toward defining a "hands-off"
>view (in politics... laissez-faire.... in morality perhaps this would
>be let-others-alone) as a do-nothing view.  But this is *wrong*.  For
>want of better words, I think someone should be "pro-active" in
>journalism and politics.

Of course.

>But, of course, this is super-dangerous.

Yup.

>What if they are "proactive in politics in a way that enslaves me, for
>example?

This is the question in all the professions, no? It's the same issue
we were discussing recently over ethics and the commercial production
of biodiesel. What it boils down to is that most people can't or
won't do ethics because it means taking responsibility in
circumstances where you can't be certain of the outcome. Hence
"morals", a set of rules you can follow where if it comes out wrong
at least you can say "But I did the right thing, it's not my fault."

In fact I think most people could do ethics, but it's not encouraged,
or rather it's positively discouraged.

>So, what I mean is sort of that I don't define what I want from a
>Politician, or somebody else that I employ, that they should sit and
>do absolutely zero to avoid doing anything wrong, and only to do what
>they're told.  So, we have this trend toward saying.. ok, they haven't
>been an adulterer, they haven't embezzled, therefor they're 'good'.
>Nope.
>
>I'd rather see them try to figure out what their job is, and to come
>up with some ideas, to discuss them, to be an adult and admit when
>some of them don't turn out good, and then to take the good ones and
>try to implement them.
>
>In journalism, this is sort of why I voiced that I don't think USA
>Today's recent coverage of some energy policy issues sucks.... because
>I think there is some ethic at that publication (perhaps I'm wrong) of
>trying to figure out what a story is before they're "told".... of
>trying to ask some questions and seeing what comes of it.  Nothing
>interesting?  Ok, throw it away.  Something interesting?  Ok, bring it
>out.  Hard to define "interesting".  Ok, so, that will take some work.
>
>This, I think, is how to get a story.  Waiting to be told by the
>E-channel that some alleged celebrity has allegedly done some
>supposedly scandalous thing, and then rushing over to cover it with
>1000 other people is not my idea of the whole story in journalism,
>though undboutedly being responsive to demand, if there is some demand
>for that story, is part of it.

Again, "demand" is not some given that exists in a vacuum, it's
created and manipulated.

To go back to this:

>Story choice (what is a story, what is
>newsworthy, what's crap) is perhaps the most important thing of all,
>and perhaps the first thing before anything else, and how do you do a
>story without choosing what the story is?

So who chooses? Journalists do choose, yes, or it's decided at the
daily news conference and the journalists are told what to do. But
who really sets the agenda of what's "news" and what's not?
Blame-avoidance at every level is a major factor. For instance,
there's the fear of what the opposition will do - which stories
they'll choose and how they'll run them. I've seen the definition of
news described like this: "But the Post didn't have it." Or, worse,
"The Post had it, why didn't we?" I once (more than that) saw
Britain's two big tabloids running their first editions with opposite
angles of the main story of the day, and in the second edition each
had adopted the other's initial angle.

I once heard an anguished cry from a news editor under deadline
pressure: "The Government Information Services line is down - how the
f*** am I going to produce the paper??" Disgraceful! Another news
editor got a call at midnight on New Year's Eve from one of his
reporters, off-duty and in town to celebrate, to say the crowds
packing the narrow streets in the main entertainment area had got out
of control and a whole bunch of people had been crushed to death -
but he didn't believe her because there'd been nothing from the
police. He didn't believe his own reporter on the scene, because it
didn't have an official stamp on it.

This kind of pressure has become much more severe as newspaper
ownership has become more concentrated and more corporate. (Fox and
the Bovine Growth Hormone story, eg.)

"Competition" with television doesn't help either, or at least the
way it's often approached doesn't help. I posted this some time ago:

>Not that paper is immune. A while back I was working for a newspaper
>quite widely known as "the best newspaper in the world" (though that
>caused a lot of in-house chuckles and puzzlement). One day a page
>from The Spectator appeared on the notice board, with an article
>written by someone who'd proposed writing an obituary for our
>paper's weekly medical page. The man who'd died was a prominent
>scientist who'd made a significant medical breakthrough, and the one
>who wanted to write his obit had worked with him at the time and
>knew him well. The medical editor asked him: "Have you been on
>television?" He hadn't - why did she ask? She'd been instructed not
>to accept contributions from non-journalists who were not "media
>personalities".

Aarghhh!! Hence "infotainment".

So when it comes to deciding what's "news" and what's a "story" what
you're left with, largely, is a vacuum. And my, what it sucks in!
According to Stauber and Rampton, 50% of the *news* items in the US
mainstream press originate in a PR agency's office. I find it easy to
accept that figure. It's easy to do this. Get a talking head with a
suit and a doctorate, get some half-decent looking letterheads and
post and fax an announcement for a "news conference"... There's a
formula, all you have to do is follow it. "But it's not my fault,
he's a scientist!"

It's perhaps no mere coincidence that it's a perfect scenario for the
soundbyte "science" of the neo-conservative and "Wise Use"
think-tanks funded by the rightwing foundations, on the one hand, and
on the other, the completely predictable gross narrowing of focus and
the failure to ask the right questions (or any questions) in the US
media that since Sept 11 has seen millions of Americans seeking their
news elsewhere, overseas, via the Internet, and many millions more
being led up the garden path in prescribed ignorance - "ignorance"
very much being not what you don't know, but what you think you know
that's wrong. And of course the vested interests get to have it their
way, they get the plain sailing craved by their bottom-lines.

Sure, there are many exceptions, but, honourable though they be,
that's all they are, exceptions. There's no sign of anything that
might break this log-jam, or at least not within the media, but very
hopeful signs in the two-edged freedoms of the Internet.

That's a sort of macro-view, but there's another side to it. It's
quite interesting what journalists say about feedback to their work.
Especially prior to the Internet, it could be difficult or impossible
to tell what effect a story might have, and so easy, if painful, to
conclude that it didn't have any effect. But so many times I've seen
old newsroom cynics having to eat their words after sneering at young
reporters still labouring under alleged illusions that they can make
a change. "Maybe there's ONE person who'll read your story and be
changed by it," was what I told young journalists I was training.
"And probably you'll never know it, but don't let that stop you." I
told them what my teacher had taught me - drummed into me: "When
you've got all your facts, you're ready to write the story, you put
the sheet of paper in your typewriter - stop, ask yourself: 'Why am I
writing this?' If you don't have a good answer, don't do it until you
find one. 'The news editor told me to' is not a good answer."

I gave one trainee an assignment to investigate factory accidents, a
sort of ongoing bloodbath in that city. She turned out to be a really
good researcher, good sense of pattern, she could weave things
together. But the other reporters told her the set of stories she was
writing were too long, it was boring, nobody would read it... Don't
listen, I said, just do it, you'll see. Then it was published, a
whole broadsheet page. The next day she came leaping across to my
desk, totally thrilled - a man who owned a string of factories had
called her, asked a lot of questions, and kept thanking her because
she'd given him lots of ideas on how he could improve safety for his
workers. Wow - that doesn't happen often! But it does happen, even if
you don't get to hear of it.

So in another sense, regardless of how insignificant the exceptions
who do take responsibility and do ethical journalism might appear
compared with the monolithic might of the mainstream press, that's no
way to judge it. They're not insignificant, they're most important -
and somewhere in there lies the straw that will break the
stranglehold the powers-that-be think they hold on our information.
Yes, OUR information, NOT theirs, regardless of who "pays" for it.

I can't think of an area where all this is more pertinent than in
energy issues and alternatives today. As we can see, right here, all
the time.

regards

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511