There are definitely AC motors (and DC motors) that are built (even designed)
so
badly that they are inefficient.  As I stated in my last post, the automotive
industry is noted for these.

Even when we start with a good motor, there are situations where it is
misapplied,
and that affects efficiency.  You have pointed out one, where the motor cycles
on
and off frequently, which forces the motor into its inefficient operation
region
frequently (e.g. capacitor start mode).  Another cause is a commercial decision
use a single type of motor across a line of different sized products to get a
longer production run of motors (hoping for economies of scale in manufacture
of
the motors and the goods in process inventory for manufacture of the units that
use
the motor).  In the case of refrigerators, this means that there may be a
mid-line
unit that uses the motor efficiently, a small unit for which the motor is too
big
(so it runs often for short periods, so spends a higher ratio of its time in an
inefficient mode), and a larger unit where the motor is too small, so the load
may
force the motor to work too hard, saturating the field, producing excess heat,
thus
lowering efficiency.

It is hard for the consumer to know what design work and decisions went into
the
creation of a specific appliance or machine they are purchasing.  However, the
EnerGuide and EnergyStar (and similar in other jurisdictions) systems give some
idea of relative efficiencies (not absolute efficiencies, and the consumer also
needs to know to keep as many other variables constant as possible).

For heat pumps and air conditioners, there are also standards related to the
CoP
(Co-efficient of Performance).  Provided this data is available from a reliable
source, it should be possible to compare across machines to establish relative
efficiency.

Picking the right size AC or heat pump unit for a house is difficult (based on
correct scientific and mathematical formulae), which is why those in the trade
rely
on rules of thumb.  And the rules of thumb almost always are based on the worst
case (slightly overestimate the area of the building, assume worst orientation
the sun, no shade, no thermal mass, maximum human occupancy... )  Because it is
cheaper for the installer to put in too large a unit (the home owner pays for
the
extra size, and the inefficiency of the unit) than to have to come back, remove
the
unit that has turned out to be too small (perhaps only once and in a completely
unusual situation) and replace it with a larger one.  So long as energy prices
remain cheap and hidden (one hydro bill for 60 days at a time, provided to the
customer a full month after that period is over, for the entire building)
instead
of realistic and up front (appliance-based readouts, instantaneous and with
logs),
given my experience with human nature, I don't see much hope for change with
the
mass of consumers.  To borrow a phrase from my business consulting days, "you
can't
manage what you can't measure".  It certainly applies to our energy consumption.

It seems almost innate, we try to maximize what we can measure or sense.  Put
somebody in a conventional gasoline-powered car today, equipped with a
speedometer
and little else in the way of instrumentation, they will drive to maximize
speed.
Put in instrumentation that displays fuel economy (e.g. the Prius "hybrid" or a
Chryser New Yorker I owned a long time ago), and people start to drive to
maximize
fuel economy.

For appliances, this is probably a ways off.  I have built a set-up with
batteries,
DC ammeter and an inverter that permits me to get a good sense of what any
specific
machine (12 volts DC or 120 volts AC, with alllowance for inverter losses) is
using
in the way of energy.  No automated logging.  There are such units available
commerically as well.  However, until these are in widespread use, and possibly
built into large devices (e.g. household-scale heat pumps), I think mass
concern
over the efficiency of such devices will not happen.

Darryl McMahon