>After conversations with my neighbours (one of whom sent city by-law officers
>visit me because I had destroyed my lawn)

Well, I don't know the context, but it sounds like you pursued another
good idea there.

>I have concluded that the root
>vegetables are safe because very few of my neighbours recognize what they are
>in
>their natural form (before they are harvested, frozen or canned or bagged and
>put
>on store shelves, forms they will recognize).
>
>Hmmm, I think I'm going to start a few extra cherry tomato plants this year,
>just
>to give away to other folks, to see if I can encourage them to start their own
>"box" gardens.

Right now in my new home I am finding that, with all this space it is
allowing me to think a lot differently, and I am contemplating minor
growing in the future (beyond the watering I'm doing of my existing
rose bushes so they don't die).  Also there are many other things this
allows me, such as putting in grid-tied solar PV (within the next few
months) to complement my solar water heater (already in when I moved
in), probably a small 25 mph EV for short trips, and maybe eventually
some biofuel-making activity.  A problem and holdup is one massive
not-entirely-optional remodeling expense.  One big plus is that
*maybe* the solar grid-tie is going to be affordable because TEP has
some sort of program, but it's not clear yet because I am so far out
of the way that the TEP division might not have experience with any
such effort.

It is a lingering regret of mine I couldn't pick up the diesel vehicle
offered for sale here in the biofuel forum recently from Phoenix, but
the expenditure of money and time on a serious biofuel project (beyond
attending Girl Mark's class) has to take a backseat.  I do think that
a biofuel vehicle will make sense for me, eventually, because a lot of
my round trips are at highway speeds and 130-150 miles, and that would
presently be quite an expensive EV to try to get together.

I wonder if there are accepted practices, in your area or others, as
to what one does with a bit of garden that one doesn't wish to
cultivate, but which, if someone else wants to do the gardening the
can keep the food?  How much land does it have to be before it becomes
a "normal" renting-out of land to a local farmer?  I haven't seen much
cultivation around the 'hood, but I do think that if I looked closely,
there are probably a few households which do some interesting things.

My favorite sustainable-technology thing that I've used recently, now
that I've moved, has been this ancient fission-fusion-wind device
called (I'm told) a "clothes line".  It also was installed here for me
by the previous owner.  I went on ebay and bought some "clothes pins",
some with metal, some just wood.

It has some very interesting pros-and-cons.

I really like the heavy loads it can handle and its effectiveness
under most circumstances.  There is perhaps a bit more labor involved
in using it, but whatever.  Sometimes it takes a bit of care, such as
when rain comes into the question.  Then sometimes you get an
unasked-for second-washing.  Then if lightning comes into the
question, we must revert back to Hakan's warnings about the dangers of
DC.  This question has come up for me at least once.  You have to do
this calculation: can I or can't I rush outside to preserve the dry
laundry.

It's still not clear to me who taught ancient peoples both fission and
fusion and how to implement them.  Some of the powers-that-be seem to
claim to be very pro-nuclear, but they don't seem to be emphasizing
the clothes-line or PV-use of nuclear power that I like.  And where's
the nuclear waste from that version?  No Yucca storage problems.  But
for some reason we don't hear much about this.